Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 08:22:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 666554 times)
booger

all your cookie are belong to me

« Reply #1050 on: November 19, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »

Jeez what a fiasco boo

Everybody got a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

2001 M900Sie - sold
2006 S2R1000 - sold
2008 HM1100S - sold
2004 998 FE - $old
2007 S4RT
2007 Vespa LX50 aka "Slowey"
2008 BMW R1200 GSA
sbrguy

« Reply #1051 on: November 19, 2010, 03:39:30 PM »

how is this stuff not happening to every single bike manufacturer? honda/yamaha/suzuki sells way more bikes than ducati ever does.

you would think that with so many of their bikes on the market the expanded tank issue would be going crazy with them, almost every single sport bike has a plastic tank, and most of the new bmw bikes do also, they should be having the same problems as ducati, what do they know that ducati doesn't?   

and if they are using a different plastic why isnt' ducati using the same one?
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1052 on: November 19, 2010, 08:31:32 PM »

Crap.  I guess they really put down the pedal. 

Just thinking out loud.  Could the manufacturers counter sue the EPA since the real culprit is government mandated alcohol poisoning of our fuel?  Just looking for a silver cloud.
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #1053 on: November 19, 2010, 09:01:07 PM »

how is this stuff not happening to every single bike manufacturer? honda/yamaha/suzuki sells way more bikes than ducati ever does.

you would think that with so many of their bikes on the market the expanded tank issue would be going crazy with them, almost every single sport bike has a plastic tank, and most of the new bmw bikes do also, they should be having the same problems as ducati, what do they know that ducati doesn't?   

I don't typically help my competition. Maybe Honda figured it out, but I can't imagine why they'd share.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1054 on: November 20, 2010, 05:53:54 AM »

Just thinking out loud.  Could the manufacturers counter sue the EPA since the real culprit is government mandated alcohol poisoning of our fuel?  Just looking for a silver cloud.

Howie, I don't think that would roll.  Ethanol has been in gasoline for many years now (as has various other interesting substances.. mtbe, toulene, etc) so it's really incumbent on the manufacturers to make sure their vehicles are compatible.  Acerbis/Ducati here had access to fuel but apparently did not test sufficiently or someone didn't ask the question about PA6 and water in the tank.

Plastic is not plastic. 

PA6 is not the same as HDPE and totally different from PEX.

There are at least half a dozen plastics I am aware of being used in fuel tanks. 

IIRC Acerbis makes PA6, PEX and HDPE tanks depending on the application.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
booger

all your cookie are belong to me

« Reply #1055 on: November 20, 2010, 07:26:46 AM »

Make 'em outta pyrex glass. Nip it in the bud.

Cheesy

Everybody got a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

2001 M900Sie - sold
2006 S2R1000 - sold
2008 HM1100S - sold
2004 998 FE - $old
2007 S4RT
2007 Vespa LX50 aka "Slowey"
2008 BMW R1200 GSA
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1056 on: November 20, 2010, 07:49:58 AM »

Howie, I don't think that would roll.  Ethanol has been in gasoline for many years now (as has various other interesting substances.. mtbe, toulene, etc) so it's really incumbent on the manufacturers to make sure their vehicles are compatible.  Acerbis/Ducati here had access to fuel but apparently did not test sufficiently or someone didn't ask the question about PA6 and water in the tank.

<snip>

Yeah, I figured that.  I was thinking more in lines of an industry wide and maybe even consumer class action suite since the ethanol is playing havoc on all kinds of equipment, old and new and does not reduce pollution as claimed.  Maybe then they will get the ethanol out. 
herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #1057 on: November 20, 2010, 12:20:20 PM »

Plastic is not plastic. 

There are at least half a dozen plastics I am aware of being used in fuel tanks. 

is there any data on the other plastics and their reaction to ethanol? or, to put it another way, has Acerbis considered (and if not, why not) using a different plastic for these tanks?

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
sbrguy

« Reply #1058 on: November 20, 2010, 12:55:15 PM »

Plastic is not plastic. 

[/quote]

sure plastic may not be plastic that makes sense, but you would think that ducati would have seen from teh feedback that the current plastic is not working and told the 3rd party to change the plastic to something else. 

or at the very least order a tank from rival bikes and test them to see which one is the best plastic and just use the same stuff.

Mr I, DUH!! i'm not saying that other manufacturers have to "help" ducati, but there is no law against ducati ordering a few plastic tanks from competitors to then figure out what plastic they are using and reverse engineer it.
J.P.

« Reply #1059 on: November 20, 2010, 02:33:57 PM »

Interesting that the lawsuit mentions several times of a replacement aluminum tank in the works.

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #1060 on: November 20, 2010, 05:49:14 PM »

This is gonna suck for everyone in the long run.

How so?

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1061 on: November 20, 2010, 05:59:33 PM »

How so?
Just my take...

Ducati makes a cash settlement...the girard-briggs firm cashes in...

and every member of the class action gets $100....the actual number yet to be determined.

The problem eventually gets solved, but the current members of the class get no real resolution because they now have no claim.

Now you have thousands of people that hate the brand.

The best solution is the one 'tizz was working towards.

Ducati keeps the owners motos safe and pretty by replacing swelled tanks until the problem is resolved.

It's a rare situation when anyone but the lawyer gets much out of the situation...just sayin'

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Meerkat
When I'm not playing Silver Power Ranger, I'm a

« Reply #1062 on: November 20, 2010, 06:31:26 PM »

If the class is certified, you can always opt out and not be bound by the terms of the settlement.

'07 S2R1K
'09 Daytona 675
'03 620 Dark-Sold 03/26/2011
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1063 on: November 20, 2010, 06:41:55 PM »

If the class is certified, you can always opt out and not be bound by the terms of the settlement.
I understand that.

At that point Ducati falls back on the 5 year emissions warranty and someone that actually likes their bike, except for the plastic tank, is screwed.

The only one that will get anything of real value from this type of suit is the law firm.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

muskrat

« Reply #1064 on: November 20, 2010, 08:45:20 PM »

Just my take...

Ducati makes a cash settlement...the girard-briggs firm cashes in...

and every member of the class action gets $100....the actual number yet to be determined.

The problem eventually gets solved, but the current members of the class get no real resolution because they now have no claim.

Now you have thousands of people that hate the brand.

The best solution is the one 'tizz was working towards.

Ducati keeps the owners motos safe and pretty by replacing swelled tanks until the problem is resolved.

It's a rare situation when anyone but the lawyer gets much out of the situation...just sayin'

Good point.  I hope these lawyers are sensible and just make it right instead of bringing the house of cards down.  I personally don't see how after spending some $15k on a bike (rounding number) they can't clear it up considering Ducati sells around 30 to 40k of bikes a year, or so I've heard.  I wont buy another Ducati with a plastic tank unless I know it's fixed.  Both my Ducs are metal tanks for that reason.  Just couldn't see my old S2r suffer so much we had to part ways.

Now what was the best solution they were working towards? 

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: