Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 08:26:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695245 times)
thought
Everyone needs a

« Reply #1380 on: March 04, 2011, 11:28:20 AM »

Well my replacement tank that is all of 3 months old is swollen up just like the old one - wtf!?

I knew they were the same tanks, but 3 months? come on... 

Oh and I've barely read any of this thread... I guess I should have been more on top of things. 

I took it by the dealer and they took some pics - do you think it will be replaced by Ducati again?

Sucks but that may mean selling the bike if there's no resolution... and the multistrada I was looking at has the same issue too - nice.

read up on here... the only sort of fix there is right now...

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=46057.0

'10 SFS 1098
'11 M796 ABS - Sold
'05 SV650N - Sold
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1381 on: March 23, 2011, 06:32:10 AM »

If you got a replacement tank, what is the date of manufacture?

You find it on the underside, it looks like this:

Date clock molding.  Dots indicate month, numbers indicate year:

Final inspection stamp (Controllo Finale) :

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Meerkat
When I'm not playing Silver Power Ranger, I'm a

« Reply #1382 on: March 23, 2011, 07:32:16 AM »

Got mine replaced in Nov of 10 with a tank made in May:

I didn't see an inspection stamp. Where should it be hiding?

'07 S2R1K
'09 Daytona 675
'03 620 Dark-Sold 03/26/2011
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1383 on: March 23, 2011, 07:33:17 AM »

Got mine replaced in Nov of 10 with a tank made in May:

I didn't see an inspection stamp. Where should it be hiding?

on the side bottom.  not on the same surface as those.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #1384 on: March 23, 2011, 07:37:45 AM »

If you got a replacement tank, what is the date of manufacture?

Does the date matter?  Have they changed anything?  Hope so.  I've got about 3 months on my THIRD tank and so far no problemo.

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1385 on: March 23, 2011, 07:43:07 AM »

Does the date matter?  Have they changed anything?  Hope so.  I've got about 3 months on my THIRD tank and so far no problemo.

For me, it mattered because it shows there is no new formulation being used.

For the record, my bike color is "Acid Yellow" which was only offered in 2005, but I am surprised they would still send out a tank that was made in 2005 (and before my original tank was made).

I am curious if others were getting newly-made tanks.

DucNaked
I'm not just the owner, I'm also a

« Reply #1386 on: March 23, 2011, 07:45:23 AM »

I put in for a replacement 3 or 4 weeks ago. Still awaiting aprovement from Ducati. Dealer agreed that it had expanded and bubbled. Can I contact DNA to expedite this?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 07:47:53 AM by DucNaked » Logged

"If your bike is quiter than mine your a pussy, if it's louder you're an asshole." Monster 1100S
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1387 on: March 23, 2011, 07:47:04 AM »

I put in for a replacement 3 or 4 weeks ago. Still awaiting aprovement from Ducati. Dealer agreed that it had expanded and bubled. Can I contact DNA to expedite this?

Yes, you can, but I would wait a while longer before doing that.

A lot of it is just the Italian side being slow.  Dealer and DNA can't change that.  My tank took 4 months. 

DucNaked
I'm not just the owner, I'm also a

« Reply #1388 on: March 23, 2011, 07:50:55 AM »

Yes, you can, but I would wait a while longer before doing that.

A lot of it is just the Italian side being slow.  Dealer and DNA can't change that.  My tank took 4 months. 
4 Months  Shocked

"If your bike is quiter than mine your a pussy, if it's louder you're an asshole." Monster 1100S
J.P.

« Reply #1389 on: March 23, 2011, 01:33:15 PM »

Ducatiz- that sucks on toast. Was that a tank one you treated with caswell?
Got 4 months on my new one so far, best of luck, I guess.

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
extra330

« Reply #1390 on: March 31, 2011, 08:34:05 AM »

I just filed a claim with my local Duc dealer for tank #3. The second tank didn't even last a year before it started to move around. The asked me to trailer the bike for the initial tank inspection because I would've been over 15,000 miles if I had ridden the bike there.  bang head  I should know something in a few weeks but I doubt I'll have any trouble getting another tank..

Like I said, the second tank isn't even  a year old yet. It's not smashing up against the ignition ring yet but it's very close to touching. There are also small lump forming on the knee pockets on both sides of the tank. Funny, the original tank didn't start to move for at least two years.

Since my S4RS is white I'm assuming that I'll be getting a newly constructed tank but will post up the date of manufacture to keep the list posted.

Cheers drink

Current ride: 07 S4RS Pearl white
                  84 BMW R100RS
Past rides:
02 ST4S
97 900SSSP
90 Honda VFR 750
90 Suz. DR 350
82 Suz. GS 450
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #1391 on: March 31, 2011, 10:21:13 AM »

i'm finally getting in to the dealer on my tank, hopefully they'll replace it... i'm not letting them keep my bike though.
if worse comes to worse, i'm getting a CA-Cycleworks track tank.

I don't want to have to deal with this again.

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
Desert Dust
Ten Most Popular Uses for a

"There's no glamour in Nirvana, no glamour at all"

« Reply #1392 on: March 31, 2011, 03:12:05 PM »

i'm finally getting in to the dealer on my tank, hopefully they'll replace it... i'm not letting them keep my bike though.
if worse comes to worse, i'm getting a CA-Cycleworks track tank.

I don't want to have to deal with this again.
+ one on the CA Cycleworks tank. I've already had my tank replaced once, and I didn't coat the 2nd tank with Caswells. Why pay $200.00 for coating when I can buy a new tank with a lifetime guaranty for $500.00?

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
bikepilot

« Reply #1393 on: March 31, 2011, 05:29:49 PM »

Anything I need to know before going to the dealer to see about getting the tank taken care of?  (2nd owner, '06 M620 - not sure if still in warranty, but figured I'd check).  The tank on the wife's monster is mashed against ignition quite badly.  I fabbed up a bracket to move the tank rearward just at tiny bit so the key can actually turn (it was jammed tight enough that the key was stuck), but can't go very far 'cause then the seat won't fit. Also with the stock bars in the stock position and steering locks set as from the factory the control pods hit the tank (chipped paint).  The tank is definitely too big for the bike.  Maybe the solution is to pour miracle grow over the rest of the Monster  Evil

2009 XB12XT
2006 Monster 620 (wife's)
1997 TL1000S
1975 Kawasaki H1 Mach III
2001 CR250R (CO do-it-all bike)
2000 XR650R (dez racer)
2003 KX100 (wife's)
1994 DR250SE (wife's/my city commuter)
Meerkat
When I'm not playing Silver Power Ranger, I'm a

« Reply #1394 on: March 31, 2011, 10:18:11 PM »

Anything I need to know before going to the dealer to see about getting the tank taken care of? The tank is definitely too big for the bike.  Maybe the solution is to pour miracle grow over the rest of the Monster  Evil

Ben at Coleman's (Fairfax) is pretty on the ball when it comes to the replacement  procedure. I just drove mine in, he took pictures and I rode out til the new tank was there.

I like this Monster-grow solution idea...A LOT!!!!!

'07 S2R1K
'09 Daytona 675
'03 620 Dark-Sold 03/26/2011
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: