Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 08:34:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695252 times)
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #1650 on: July 22, 2011, 01:52:25 PM »

Interestingly enough, the KTM Super Duke is on there.

I know.  My SD's tank has a few extra nipples on it.

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
booger

all your cookie are belong to me

« Reply #1651 on: July 22, 2011, 02:24:31 PM »

Yes.  A new finger.

Evil

Confucius say man who go to sleep with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger

Everybody got a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

2001 M900Sie - sold
2006 S2R1000 - sold
2008 HM1100S - sold
2004 998 FE - $old
2007 S4RT
2007 Vespa LX50 aka "Slowey"
2008 BMW R1200 GSA
hillbillypolack

« Reply #1652 on: July 23, 2011, 09:34:01 AM »

"A class action lawsuit has been filed against Ducati for this issue. The lawsuit covers 50,000 motorcycles sold by Ducati and seeks a replacement tank for each of them."

That's a colossal number of bikes by any measure.  I had no idea it was that many.

(also from the site):

Ducati Monster (years?)
Ducati Hypermotard (years?)
Ducati Streetfighter (years?)
Ducati GT 1000 (all years)
Ducati Paul Smart LE (all years .. 2006)
Ducati Sport 1000 (all years)
Ducati Multistrada (years?)
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1653 on: July 23, 2011, 10:10:42 AM »

Ducatis biggest year was 06 or 07 and that was 42k bikes worldwide.  US and Canada account for about a third of sales.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1654 on: July 23, 2011, 12:14:48 PM »

"A class action lawsuit has been filed against Ducati for this issue. The lawsuit covers 50,000 motorcycles sold by Ducati and seeks a replacement tank for each of them."

That's a colossal number of bikes by any measure.  I had no idea it was that many.

(also from the site):

Ducati Monster (years?)
Ducati Hypermotard (years?)
Ducati Streetfighter (years?)
Ducati GT 1000 (all years)
Ducati Paul Smart LE (all years .. 2006)
Ducati Sport 1000 (all years)
Ducati Multistrada (years?)
How does this action benefit owners?

If I was Ducati I'd run right up and settle.

"The lawsuit covers 50,000 motorcycles sold by Ducati and seeks a replacement tank"

It seems the affected owners are better off right now with Ducati replacing tanks indefinitely, and some multiple times, out of good will.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

dlowenst

« Reply #1655 on: July 23, 2011, 01:28:06 PM »

If this is the same class action suit that I've considered joining, the suit seeks more than just a like replacement.  Specifically:

"Plaintiffs seek equitable relief requiring Ducati to disclose that its plastic fuel tanks are incompatible with the motorcycles’ fuel to all existing and prospective customers, and to replace those incompatible fuel tanks with fuel tanks that will not degrade or deform upon contact with fuel."

Dave

"The lawsuit covers 50,000 motorcycles sold by Ducati and seeks a replacement tank"

It seems the affected owners are better off right now with Ducati replacing tanks indefinitely, and some multiple times, out of good will.

Dave in DC: 67 Jaguar E-Type OTS S1/71 Ford F-100 Styleside/79 Triumph T140E Bonneville/15 BMW R1200GS/13 KTM 300 XC-W/04 Yamaha TT-R250/04 & 05 Honda CRF 250X/Keeping parts guys in business nationwide
Desert Dust
Ten Most Popular Uses for a

"There's no glamour in Nirvana, no glamour at all"

« Reply #1656 on: July 23, 2011, 01:56:05 PM »

I would prefer to have one tank that doesn't deform as opposed to numerous replacement tanks.

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
rockaduc

« Reply #1657 on: July 23, 2011, 01:58:59 PM »

I would prefer to have one tank that doesn't deform as opposed to numerous replacement tanks.

+ 1 million

If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you.  If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.
hillbillypolack

« Reply #1658 on: July 23, 2011, 05:04:34 PM »

Yep.

I wonder if there's any ground to claim loss of resale value due to this issue. 

Not counting on it though.
Desert Dust

« Reply #1659 on: July 23, 2011, 05:19:08 PM »

Depends- will DNA replace tanks for a new registered owner?

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1660 on: July 23, 2011, 05:54:45 PM »

Depends- will DNA replace tanks for a new registered owner?

Of a used bike?  They have been replacing tanks for 2nd and 3rd owners without question.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Desert Dust

« Reply #1661 on: July 23, 2011, 07:39:31 PM »

Of a used bike?  They have been replacing tanks for 2nd and 3rd owners without question.
Good will for DNA waytogo

DucsLikeBread
Why not?

« Reply #1662 on: July 25, 2011, 09:29:19 AM »

Just took a look at that deform tanks website and I don't see any of the ducati super bikes on the list. Are the tanks for these bikes made of another type of plastic? Or is the problem there but just not on that list?
Scissors

« Reply #1663 on: July 26, 2011, 04:03:20 AM »

FWIW, the Ducati tech at my shop said that they've seen fully 1 out of every 3 Monsters come back with a deformed fuel tank.

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1664 on: July 26, 2011, 04:39:24 AM »

FWIW, the Ducati tech at my shop said that they've seen fully 1 out of every 3 Monsters come back with a deformed fuel tank.

Where are you/they located? It might be the gasoline there is worse.

Ethanol content in gasoline can vary -- the label on the pump will always say "contains up to 10% ethanol" but that means it could contain 5% or 1% or even 0%, depending on the supplier. 

the best way to know is to test the gas, kits available online. 

Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: