Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 08:26:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695245 times)
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #1905 on: November 18, 2011, 08:51:54 AM »

I'd have no problems doing that at the $1200-1500 mark for Alu or carbon/kevlar tank.

ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1906 on: November 18, 2011, 09:31:08 AM »

This is what I posted on Ducati.net

The terms of the settlement allow for an extended warrant of 6 years from original purpose OR 18 months from the date of the settlement's acceptance by the court (whichever is longer).  The latter time frame has not started yet as the notice that has been received by everyone is a notice of a ~proposed~ settlement.  Terms of replacement or "fixes" of tanks has been laid out in the settlement and it depends on your model of bike.

On Monsters, for NON-cosmetic problems experienced, Ducati will employ several fixes to adjust the positioning of the tank.  Other bikes have similar procedures. (page 7-8)  For COSMETIC problems, Ducati will replace the tank subject to three conditions (1.  caused by tank expansion 2. more than 3mm of distortion and visible to a passerby and 3. no other greater damage such as from an accident). (page 9, para c) they will also replace DUCATI branded parts where they have been damaged by the expansion. (Page 9, para d)

The warranty will be transferable to subsequent owners, such as it is. (pg 9, p. e)

There is also a separate arbitration process IN the settlement for people who are unhappy with the settlement process.   (pg 9, p. f)

If you do not agree with the proposed settlement, you need to get write a letter to the court explaining your disagreement.  NOW.  you will have to opt out of the settlement.  You can request to remain part of the settlement if it is ratified, but also express unhappiness with it, but make sure to explain why.

My issues with the settlement

**The warranty time frame is too compact.  My 2005 S2R did not show deformation until around 3-4 years after I bought it.  I bought mine new in early 2006, and it wasn't until around the end of 2009 that I noticed a problem.

**The tank repositioning and adjustment may or may not be legit under DOT/NHTSA regs.  Since they are moving the tank around on the frame into a NEW location, it could possibly change the crash profile of the tank.  This is a small issue, but I find it interesting that they are adding hardware (SC) and repositioning tanks (Monster) without seeking approval or guidance from NHTSA on the matter.

**The tank leak issue is not really addressed.  They are offering to replace the O-ring. The oring isn't the problem, the distortion of the pump flange location is.  The pump base is metal, the flange where it connects is nylon.  When the nylon starts to swell, the inset-nuts which the pump connects to can move or loosen.  Also, the ROUND hole can become oblong or egg-shaped.  In my testing, the flange thickness changed significantly and slightly distorted in shape.

**The real problem with the tanks is the MATERIAL used.
  PA6/nylon absorbs water and possibly ethanol as well (once it is compromised by water.)  I would never expect Ducati to replace the tank with a wholly different material (such as remaking a steel or aluminum, DOT approved tank), but I believed before (2 years ago) and still believe that a barrier coating is the best fix.  The epoxy coatings work --period-- but I was informed by Ducati that in their testing the epoxy type changes some aspect of the tanks such that it could not be homologated.  Unfortunately, due to the lawsuit filed I could not continue direct contact, but there are other types of ethanol-proof coatings which may work and could be applied in a manner which doesn't affect homologation.  I would like to believe that the folks at Ducati are still trying to find a permanent fix which they can offer and endorse.

If you have a good tank or got a replacement tank, then you should get it coated.  The epoxy coatings work, there are too many people around now with 2+ year old tanks who run high mile bikes (multistrada board has more than a few).  The homologation issues are essentially academic and a bit silly, imho, because they are dealing with crash profiles of a gas tank on a motorcycle.  May I submit that if you're in a crash on a motorcycle that is ~strong enough to shatter a nylon tank~ that you probably won't mind being cooked a little bit if the 1:1000000 chance happens that your tank does in fact shatter?  Anything that is strong enough to shatter a 1/2" thick nylon tank is going to cream you anyhow, if you're not thrown off and land in a vat of pillows.

I originally considered filing a lawsuit but as I learned more I realized that Ducati does in fact have a good case against a lawsuit prevailing due to the legal issues.  The law says that a "defect" of this type is necessarily related to OPERATIONAL SAFETY and even though a few tanks have leaked, you have to remember the average judge or jury person isn't a biker and doesn't really get it.  "Leaky tank? OK but so what" they will say.  Fortunately we've not had any flaming fireballs, but the chance was always there.  Just bear in mind that it took 2 or 3 DEATHS in Toyotas to initiate a recall.  The mere reports of surging and such didn't cut it.   They needed a body count before moving on the matter.

And that is the problem here.  No bodycount (Thank God), but on the other hand, it really sucks that is what it takes to prove a defect that is related to operational safety.

Ducati essentially argued that the problem was aesthetic, and until someone's bike burns up WITH them on it, it will remain so.  The real downside to a flame situation is that the tank will proceed to melt -- destroying the evidence.

Get a new tank if you need one.  Write a letter to the court saying what bullshit it is that we need a body count to prove a material defect.  Coat your tank and be done with it.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
seevtsaab

05 M620

« Reply #1907 on: November 18, 2011, 11:02:33 AM »

Well said.
I find the Monster relief rather unsatisfactory, they'll move the tank and replace your seat if necessary.
I had my seat redone, so fat chance.
I just put my bike away with a very tight tank to ignition switch, first time I've had an issue (05 620 @33K).
Tank has deformed a small amount in the past but so far returned to near normal (after extended periods of
no ethanol).
I'll probably look to coat my tank in the dead of winter, I'll be interested in particulars on doing, or getting that
done (I'm kind of a ruin-it-myself kind of guy). 70-90F temps are what i call 'riding weather.

Cheers all.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1908 on: November 18, 2011, 11:09:09 AM »

FYI Kreem now makes a product called Protector which is a water-soluble coating for the OUTSIDE of the tank to use when applying the inside coating.

http://www.kreem.com/tankmask.html

you put it on, let it dry, then do the tank job. 

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1909 on: November 18, 2011, 12:19:51 PM »

FYI Kreem now makes a product called Protector which is a water-soluble coating for the OUTSIDE of the tank to use when applying the inside coating.

There are a few companies that make liquid masking materials, 3m being one, that have been used in the auto body field for years.

People might be able to buy a small amount at their local body shop if they can't find the Kreem product.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

muskrat

« Reply #1910 on: November 18, 2011, 12:26:25 PM »

I'd have no problems doing that at the $1200-1500 mark for Alu or carbon/kevlar tank.
fat chance you'll find a carbon for that price.  My point is that many will have bikes worth 3 to 5k.  I don't see the reason to spend another 2 to 3k on a tank if the price of the bike is that low.....or the market is that low.  I'll keep my metal tanks until they fix this problem or move on sometime next year.

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #1911 on: November 18, 2011, 12:29:39 PM »

shoot, motowheels is selling them for 1k for the 900ie in your garage.

thought
Everyone needs a

« Reply #1912 on: November 18, 2011, 01:15:08 PM »

just a fyi, revzilla sells it so it's pretty easy to come by.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/kreem-tank-mask

i'm going to have to coat my sf tank soon, the tank is at the dealer, i'm just waiting for the caswell to arrive.

i'll try this out... i was going to do the masking tape route before this but this might be a bit better.  i'll let you know how it works out.

'10 SFS 1098
'11 M796 ABS - Sold
'05 SV650N - Sold
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1913 on: November 18, 2011, 01:20:32 PM »

just a fyi, revzilla sells it so it's pretty easy to come by.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/kreem-tank-mask

i'm going to have to coat my sf tank soon, the tank is at the dealer, i'm just waiting for the caswell to arrive.

i'll try this out... i was going to do the masking tape route before this but this might be a bit better.  i'll let you know how it works out.
I hope it works better than their tank coating. Wink

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

muskrat

« Reply #1914 on: November 18, 2011, 05:20:53 PM »

shoot, motowheels is selling them for 1k for the 900ie in your garage.
no need.  I stole that bike for the price and it's just right now.  I like metal.

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
muskrat

« Reply #1915 on: November 18, 2011, 05:28:20 PM »

so, has anyone had a replacement tank for a bike out of the two year warranty replaced and had to pay labor?

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1916 on: November 19, 2011, 05:14:59 AM »

so, has anyone had a replacement tank for a bike out of the two year warranty replaced and had to pay labor?

no one has reported that to me

Uncle Mofo

"Must Win Track Day" Uncle Mofo Racing 2007 S4RS

« Reply #1917 on: November 19, 2011, 07:37:16 AM »

My dealer told me that Ducati pays the labor.  I hate thieves
Report your dealer to Ducati North America.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 07:40:23 AM by Grifo » Logged

2007 red S4Rs
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #1918 on: November 19, 2011, 08:40:47 AM »

The dealer that replaced my first tank, heck, they replaced the second tank now that I think about it, anyway...  The dealer told me that the tank would be replaced under the emissions warrantee, which ran for five years not two.

I have never been asked to pay for the labor.  If I had, I would say, "What part of warrantee do you not understand?"

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

muskrat

« Reply #1919 on: November 19, 2011, 08:45:53 AM »

I think it's a case of "I'm new" here.  My friend asked me and I said "what in the hell are you talking about" because I've never heard of such a thing.  We will find out shortly and if so I'll let  you guys know.

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: