Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 08:42:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695260 times)
thought
Everyone needs a

« Reply #1935 on: November 19, 2011, 09:19:58 PM »

considering the amount of negative responses this will receive... i wonder if this will even come close to passing.

if it does... that'll be pretty messed up.

'10 SFS 1098
'11 M796 ABS - Sold
'05 SV650N - Sold
mjk778

« Reply #1936 on: November 20, 2011, 12:55:34 AM »

I think it's safe to say that all us wanted the settlement to require Ducati to provide customers with expansion issues with new tanks made of a material that will not be subject to future issues,  but they are not. Do I wish Ducati handled the situation differently, yes.  Was I happy that I was strung along by the first dealer I visited regarding the issue, no.  Does the verdict  suck, hell yes but at the end of the day I love my machine and settled for coating the tank and being done with this issue once and for all.  I'm surprised by how many people are still bent about this.  I remember looking at my original tank every time I rode and getting irritated by seeing a flaw in the finish or a wave or dimple.  I got the tank replaced,  had the daler coat it for 2 bills with caswells and never looked back.  done.
hillbillypolack

« Reply #1937 on: November 20, 2011, 07:59:14 AM »

Certainly the Caswell's is an option to avoidn (or at least delay) the expansion. 

But looking at the settlement, seeing how many bikes in Ducati's line were affected. . . would this have a negative impact on their sales in the future.  Time will tell I suppose.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1938 on: November 20, 2011, 09:14:23 AM »

Certainly the Caswell's is an option to avoidn (or at least delay) the expansion. 

But looking at the settlement, seeing how many bikes in Ducati's line were affected. . . would this have a negative impact on their sales in the future.  Time will tell I suppose.

The saying about Ducati is still, after all these years and all kinds of improvements, that they are unreliable and of sloppy manufacturing. Lots of potential buyers back off because of it.

When the 'melting tanks' issue is added, it will of course hurt Ducati's reputation.

Ducati displays a stupid, childish and shameful attitude now, trying to crawl away from a responsible solution.

Cowards boo

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Desert Dust
Ten Most Popular Uses for a

"There's no glamour in Nirvana, no glamour at all"

« Reply #1939 on: November 20, 2011, 10:00:25 AM »

The saying about Ducati is still, after all these years and all kinds of improvements, that they are unreliable and of sloppy manufacturing. Lots of potential buyers back off because of it.

When the 'melting tanks' issue is added, it will of course hurt Ducati's reputation.

Ducati displays a stupid, childish and shameful attitude now, trying to crawl away from a responsible solution.

Cowards boo

+1

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
muskrat

« Reply #1940 on: November 20, 2011, 01:03:06 PM »

well said.

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1941 on: November 20, 2011, 01:19:12 PM »

Cowards boo

Ducati has swapped out how many tanks on bikes that were A) out of warranty and B) for a second or third owner?

I think there is a lot to admire about their reaction.  They haven't come thru with a better tank, but for a LOT of owners who have 4-5 year old bike and are the 2nd or 3rd owner, they swapped a tank, no questions asked.

I'd prefer that they figure out a permanent fix rather than effing with the bike parts to move things around to fit a swelling tank.  What happens when the tank shrinks back?

But as far as cowards?  No, sorry.  I don't think there has been a single auto manufacturer EVER who has gotten a claim from a buyer of a USED bike/car and done a free part/labor swap.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Desert Dust
Ten Most Popular Uses for a

"There's no glamour in Nirvana, no glamour at all"

« Reply #1942 on: November 20, 2011, 01:24:02 PM »

Potentially dangerous situations? It's called a recall- something that Ducati should have done without even challenging the the issue in court.

Auto makers have done it many times.

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1943 on: November 20, 2011, 01:49:00 PM »

Potentially dangerous situations? It's called a recall- something that Ducati should have done without even challenging the the issue in court.

If it was clearly a dangerous defect, there wouldn't be a settlement and it would have gone to a jury and the payout would have been far larger.  You and I might be convinced, but NHTSA looked into it and decided it wasn't dangerous, so at least from a purely legal perspective, it wasn't dangerous.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1944 on: November 20, 2011, 02:49:51 PM »

Recalls come from NHTSA, not the manufacturers.  Occasionally a manufacturer will initiate the recall, but that is rare.  Usually manufacturers do the opposite.   
hunduc

08 S2R1K

« Reply #1945 on: November 20, 2011, 02:55:00 PM »

What happens when the tank shrinks back?

can that happen? if you manage to use pure gas for a while after using ethanol, does the tank shrink back?

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1946 on: November 20, 2011, 03:01:50 PM »

can that happen? if you manage to use pure gas for a while after using ethanol, does the tank shrink back?

It can and DOES.  All of the tanks shrink back when dried.  Drain the tank, let it sit in a humidity-free environment and it will shrink back after 1-2 months.

Alternatively, put a gallon of hot water in it and it will balloon overnight.

thought
Everyone needs a

« Reply #1947 on: November 20, 2011, 03:08:40 PM »

It can and DOES.  All of the tanks shrink back when dried.  Drain the tank, let it sit in a humidity-free environment and it will shrink back after 1-2 months.

Alternatively, put a gallon of hot water in it and it will balloon overnight.

but what happens when you put some mentos and coke inside it...

INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW.  haha

'10 SFS 1098
'11 M796 ABS - Sold
'05 SV650N - Sold
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1948 on: November 20, 2011, 03:17:34 PM »

Stupid, because it hits them where it hurts the most - reputation

Childish, because once confronted legally they wiggle and try to get off the easiest way

Shameful, because their behaviour is not in any way going to make them proud

"Ducati builds emotions" - their own words and very true.
How smart is it to disappoint up to 40,000 customers with a practical, economical and emotional issue?

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1949 on: November 20, 2011, 03:42:29 PM »

but what happens when you put some mentos and coke inside it...

INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW.  haha

you look like a make the beast with two backsing idiot. 

Smiley

Stupid, because it hits them where it hurts the most - reputation

Childish, because once confronted legally they wiggle and try to get off the easiest way

Shameful, because their behaviour is not in any way going to make them proud

"Ducati builds emotions" - their own words and very true.
How smart is it to disappoint up to 40,000 customers with a practical, economical and emotional issue?

put that into a legal argument and we can go somewhere.

i was reading the other day a thread a guy posted complaining the flat-earth theory doesn't get much attention.  anyone and their pet guinea can post on the web....

Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: