Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 08:27:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695245 times)
HotIce

« Reply #1995 on: November 26, 2011, 03:16:32 PM »

If money is no issue why not get an aluminum tank.  Evil

I hear three grands for the ABS model, and you have to be the guinea pig. Plus, you have to paint it. Which easily heads up to four grands.
I can totally understand that price, since volume is tiny, but I can have a fully functional, swell-free, stock Ducati, solution for much less $$.
Frisco

« Reply #1996 on: November 26, 2011, 05:32:41 PM »

Yup, of course  Smiley
Besides that, can I expect no ad-hoc USA changes from that POV?
If my bike will start having unbearable tank swelling problems, my plan is:

• Get the warranty replaced tank out of DNA
  • Sell that tank on eBay
  • Get new tank in Italy next summer and carry in USA on return  Cool

In order to get the new tank the dealer has to send the old tank back - you can't keep it

2007 S4RS
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #1997 on: November 26, 2011, 05:56:36 PM »

In order to get the new tank the dealer has to send the old tank back - you can't keep it
I think HotIce is talking about having his original tank replaced under warranty (yes, the dealer will keep the original), then selling the brand new unused US market replacement tank and buying a new EU market tank made from PEX.

FWIW dirt bike tanks are plastic, permeable, and don't have expansion issues that I can tell (I've got half a dozen of them, so I'd probably have noticed by now).
I dont doubt it.  PEX and/or PE doesnt seem to have the expansion issues which afflict nylon gas tanks.  But Ducati (via Acerbis) make the newer Monster tanks of 2 different materials, PA (nylon) for the US and PEX for everywhere else. Seems likely that they stick with the expansion-prone nylon for USA only because they cannot get PEX past the regulators.  Are your dirt bikes road legal machines?  Are the plastic tanks stock or aftermarket? 

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
jgrm1

« Reply #1998 on: November 27, 2011, 04:58:38 PM »

...they are recomending using K100 which they are going to start carrying...

They bragged about the K100 to me, too.  I'm sure they plan to make a tidy profit off it.  I'm not crazy about additives, though.  When I'm out for a 350 mile ride, I don't want to have to carry a bottle of snake oil with me for each fill up (their recommendation).

-Jeff

BMW:  2016 R1200RS, 2000 R1100S, 1975 R90S
Ducati:  2008 S2R1000, 1998 900 Supersport Final Edition
Norton:  1974 Commando 850
Triumph:  2016 Thruxton R, 1971 T120R
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1999 on: November 27, 2011, 06:08:16 PM »

The active ingredients of the k100 product are ethanol and ether.

No thanks.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Frisco

« Reply #2000 on: November 27, 2011, 07:25:06 PM »

The active ingredients of the k100 product are ethanol and ether.

No thanks.

where did you get that info?  There is nothing on their website indicating ingrediants nor on the bottle I have in my garage?

2007 S4RS
Frisco

« Reply #2001 on: November 27, 2011, 07:27:58 PM »

I think HotIce is talking about having his original tank replaced under warranty (yes, the dealer will keep the original), then selling the brand new unused US market replacement tank and buying a new EU market tank made from PEX.

why would anyone buy a tank they can get replaced under warranty? Especially a tank that will continue to expand?
Am I missing something here?

2007 S4RS
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2002 on: November 27, 2011, 07:39:11 PM »

where did you get that info?  There is nothing on their website indicating ingrediants nor on the bottle I have in my garage?

MSDS sheets require them to divulge secrets.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
HotIce

« Reply #2003 on: November 28, 2011, 07:24:30 AM »

why would anyone buy a tank they can get replaced under warranty? Especially a tank that will continue to expand?
Am I missing something here?
You assume things never break, or bikes never go into an accident  Wink
Sure is, if my tank is going to expand, I prefer to cut short and either get a non expanding one from outside USA, or coat the replacement one.
Former solution preferred.
I don't want to be on/off at my dealership every two months because, yet again, the same old tank expanded. Just because it is under warranty.

Frisco

« Reply #2004 on: November 28, 2011, 09:58:29 AM »

You assume things never break, or bikes never go into an accident  Wink
Sure is, if my tank is going to expand, I prefer to cut short and either get a non expanding one from outside USA, or coat the replacement one.
Former solution preferred.
I don't want to be on/off at my dealership every two months because, yet again, the same old tank expanded. Just because it is under warranty.

I agree 100% about getting one that won't expand - accidents I would think would be covered under ins (provided you carry comprehensive) - I think it would be a very limited market to be able to resell the replaced tank. I've also heard the coating isn't a  100% fix either and once you do that you void the waranty - I would keep getting replacments up until the 18 month expiration time period before coating one and hope that someone in the interim has come up a permanenteconomical fix by then. Just my thoughts.

2007 S4RS
Frisco

« Reply #2005 on: November 28, 2011, 10:02:56 AM »

MSDS sheets require them to divulge secrets.

Thanks - just curious if it's the same MSDS for the G formula as the Marine Grade shown? My guess would be yes but perhaps different percent in formula?

2007 S4RS
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2006 on: November 28, 2011, 10:36:46 AM »

Thanks - just curious if it's the same MSDS for the G formula as the Marine Grade shown? My guess would be yes but perhaps different percent in formula?

generally speaking, they just add some coloring and relabel the same thing.. maybe add some more "stuff"

duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #2007 on: November 28, 2011, 10:41:04 AM »

I agree 100% about getting one that won't expand - accidents I would think would be covered under ins (provided you carry comprehensive) - I think it would be a very limited market to be able to resell the replaced tank. I've also heard the coating isn't a  100% fix either and once you do that you void the waranty - I would keep getting replacments up until the 18 month expiration time period before coating one and hope that someone in the interim has come up a permanenteconomical fix by then. Just my thoughts.

It's bit too much to ask someone to read through 130 pages, but to give you the Cliff Notes:

1) Caswell coating  waytogo
2) Dealers never checking before submitting claim  waytogo
3) Some dealers giving erroneous information bordering on lies  boo
4) Settlement  boo
5) Ducatiz in a tutu  vomit

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2008 on: November 28, 2011, 10:44:28 AM »

It's bit too much to ask someone to read through 130 pages, but to give you the Cliff Notes:

1) Caswell coating  waytogo
2) Dealers never checking before submitting claim  waytogo
3) Some dealers giving erroneous information bordering on lies  boo
4) Settlement  boo
5) Ducatiz in a tutu  vomit

you wish, chulo!

HotIce

« Reply #2009 on: November 29, 2011, 08:02:01 AM »

The thing is, I like to ride, and not spending time at the dealership replacing tanks or filing for multiple claims.
Also, to go to my dealership I have to basically take a day off each time.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: