Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 08:42:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695261 times)
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #2025 on: December 07, 2011, 03:22:53 AM »

they got dookie for suspenders on 'em.  like they're filled with fish 'n' chips.

Not when you compare equivalent models. A street triple R will run circles around a 796 in all aspects, AND has three way adjustable suspension to boot. Couple that with the STR's metal tank and you have a winner.

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #2026 on: December 07, 2011, 05:19:01 AM »

Yes, Triumph makes great bikes.  Oh, they also have plastic tank problems.

I don't know what their response to their owners with the tank problems has been, but I do know that Triumph has completely dropped plastic tanks in their lineup.

Maybe they don't have rotomolding in Thailand.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2027 on: December 07, 2011, 05:24:46 AM »

<snip> but I do know that Triumph has completely dropped plastic tanks in their lineup.

probably a good call.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2028 on: December 07, 2011, 05:43:30 AM »

I don't know what their response to their owners with the tank problems has been, but I do know that Triumph has completely dropped plastic tanks in their lineup.

Maybe they don't have rotomolding in Thailand.

Yep, gone for 2012.  More than a few distorted Tigers and Speeds Triples out there though.  I have no real info on how they handled the problem. 
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2029 on: December 07, 2011, 06:07:42 AM »

If anyone is concerned as to whether tank coatings will adhere and last with a nylon tank, I've got a whitepaper coming which looks at the specific forms of epoxy used in the Caswell and 3m products. 

Suffice to say, they are among the class of compounds considered "preferred adhesives" when used with polyamides. 

More later...

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
convict
« Reply #2030 on: December 07, 2011, 06:23:56 AM »

you are right - I don't own a ducati. I wanted one. And yes some triumphs do have the same problem as I noted. so do bimmers aprilia, etc and. And yes triumphs does source and build world wide, but seriously you think that everything on your ducati is italian. And yes I did only just join this forum to post my "rant". Heres the thing, I am not arguing which is better, I dont give a shoot.  I was trying to answer the question one of your friends posted in this chat "who is gonna buy our used bikes".  I can't speak for others but your tanks are almost dangerous and riding is stupid enuff without this extra problem. And ducati has been selling these tanks for years and done nothing about it. It does not speak well for them and does affect your resale value.  grow up.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2031 on: December 07, 2011, 08:03:33 AM »

you are right - I don't own a ducati. I wanted one. And yes some triumphs do have the same problem as I noted. so do bimmers aprilia, etc and. And yes triumphs does source and build world wide, but seriously you think that everything on your ducati is italian. And yes I did only just join this forum to post my "rant". Heres the thing, I am not arguing which is better, I dont give a shoot.  I was trying to answer the question one of your friends posted in this chat "who is gonna buy our used bikes".  I can't speak for others but your tanks are almost dangerous and riding is stupid enuff without this extra problem. And ducati has been selling these tanks for years and done nothing about it. It does not speak well for them and does affect your resale value.  grow up.

Great second post too waytogo
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2032 on: December 07, 2011, 09:30:43 AM »

If riding is stupid...

why do want a second bike? I'd think you could use up your allotment of stupid with the one you claim to own.

See here's the deal...I don't think you own a bike. I think you're just a troll.

In that vein...

258Troll_spray by nh_painter, on Flickr

[hope it works this time.]

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #2033 on: December 07, 2011, 09:36:58 AM »

enuff you guys!  (because its enough letters fewer than 'enough' to make the change to enuff worthwhile.)   

grammar and spelling: not just for grade school book reports.

duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #2034 on: December 07, 2011, 09:53:19 AM »

I thought I had posted this earlier... don't feed the troll.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
wantingaduc

Excuse me Sir, your bike is smokin.

« Reply #2035 on: December 07, 2011, 11:01:26 AM »

I have a practical question to ask.
Living in NJ I put my Monster away for the bulk of the season.
I would think it would be best to store it with as near an empty tank as possible to avoid the fuel from sitting and swelling the tank.
Does this sound reasonable to anyone else?

jimi

I know what ruined America, the fu@k*ng Americans !!!
thought
Everyone needs a

« Reply #2036 on: December 07, 2011, 11:05:04 AM »

I have a practical question to ask.
Living in NJ I put my Monster away for the bulk of the season.
I would think it would be best to store it with as near an empty tank as possible to avoid the fuel from sitting and swelling the tank.
Does this sound reasonable to anyone else?

jimi

commonly held thought is if your tank is metal or coated, fill it up.  if it's plastic or uncoated, drain it for the winter.

'10 SFS 1098
'11 M796 ABS - Sold
'05 SV650N - Sold
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2037 on: December 07, 2011, 12:39:51 PM »

Or, if you can get fuel without ethanol a full tank with stabil.

A second option is ride through the winter.
Curmudgeon

« Reply #2038 on: December 07, 2011, 12:54:05 PM »

waytogo

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2039 on: December 07, 2011, 01:05:07 PM »

A second option is ride through the winter.

i am beginning to think Stabil etc are a non starter.  I think they might help for a short period of time but for a stored bike would not help at all and given Stabil's primary ingredient is an alcohol, it might make things worse.

Just in case anyone missed this:

If anyone is concerned as to whether tank coatings will adhere and last with a nylon tank, I've got a whitepaper coming which looks at the specific forms of epoxy used in the Caswell and 3m products. 

Suffice to say, they are among the class of compounds considered "preferred adhesives" when used with polyamides. 

More later...

Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: