Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 03:13:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 67   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY Painting Tips  (Read 395138 times)
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2008, 03:17:23 AM »

thanks for your advice nate. i used a two stage process and, after some test panels, got the dark down pat. i still loath it though.
Any time...

I feel the same way...although loathe is a bit strong.

Hate will do.   Grin

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

804monster
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2008, 04:10:45 AM »

hate it is.  Grin
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2008, 05:22:54 AM »

To make Nate wince....

I was in Harbor Freight yesterday and picked up one of these:

20 oz. 6 CFM Gravity Feed Spray Gun
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47016

I wasn't intending to.  I needed a new impact gun and I saw a guy buying a few of them (spray gun) and they are on sale for $11.  I asked him if he'd used it before and he said this was his third one, he paints motorcycles (!) and had no problem with them.   I asked him why he's on his 3rd and he said they are so cheap to buy that he just gets them on sale and throws them away when they clog (which is avoidable since they come with a cleaning kit and filter)

he said HF has nozzles for them (1.1,1.2,1.3,1.4) for $10 each and it's cheap enough for a small job.  He said it was a matter of getting the spray distance and painting conditions just right and with a 3hp compressor or better, there would be no problems.

I've got an old gas tank I am going to experiment on, we'll see how it goes once the weather is more amenable... and i have time...  and the house is clean.... and the yard is done .... and the baby is asleep...

anyhow.  my question is thus:

I understand as a professional that you wouldn't want to use this kind/quality, but what's really the problem with them for a small-volume painter?

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2008, 05:44:31 AM »

Nothing really...

It's not HVLP which creates more o/spray and wastes paint.

The fact that it's gravity feed is good.

With the cost of Ducati red at $100/pt from PPG it's an issue IMO.

That said, for a small job where you're not going to use a whole pint but have to buy it, should work fine.

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2008, 02:14:11 PM »

Nothing really...

It's not HVLP which creates more o/spray and wastes paint.

The fact that it's gravity feed is good.

With the cost of Ducati red at $100/pt from PPG it's an issue IMO.

That said, for a small job where you're not going to use a whole pint but have to buy it, should work fine.

well, on second examination, that's not the correct part i got -- the gun i got was hvlp, says so on the box and in the instructions..  i wish they wouldn't play footsie with their stupid part numbers

this is the correct part #
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90977

coupon is for $11.99, but you gotta be on their mailing list!

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
scott_araujo

« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2008, 02:26:28 PM »

I've polished aluminum before.  It was pretty easy and looked pretty good.  I've thought about doing this to my wheels and my side cases.  Once I'm done is there a clear that I can use so they won't look like butt in one riding season?  Anything that happens to some in a rattle can?

Thanks,
Scott

PS- Who am I kidding?  All that polished metal, then I'd have to start cleaning my bike on a regular basis Wink
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2008, 04:12:42 PM »

well, on second examination, that's not the correct part i got -- the gun i got was hvlp, says so on the box and in the instructions..  i wish they wouldn't play footsie with their stupid part numbers

this is the correct part #
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90977

coupon is for $11.99, but you gotta be on their mailing list!
If that gun only uses 6 cfm buy 2 or 3 more.   Wink

Looks pretty decent.

Keep it clean and it should work.

perspective

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2008, 04:14:25 PM »

I've polished aluminum before.  It was pretty easy and looked pretty good.  I've thought about doing this to my wheels and my side cases.  Once I'm done is there a clear that I can use so they won't look like butt in one riding season?  Anything that happens to some in a rattle can?

Thanks,
Scott

PS- Who am I kidding?  All that polished metal, then I'd have to start cleaning my bike on a regular basis Wink
Nothing in a rattle can, but POR makes a clear that they claim will stick to chrome and polished metal. No FHE, but if it works nearly as well as their tank sealer you'll be good to go.

perspective

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2008, 04:22:08 PM »

If that gun only uses 6 cfm buy 2 or 3 more.   Wink

Looks pretty decent.

Keep it clean and it should work.

mm kay.. i have a coupon, i am going back.. want one?  $11.99 ain't bad.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2008, 04:43:39 PM »

mm kay.. i have a coupon, i am going back.. want one?  $11.99 ain't bad.
What size nozzle does it come with?

perspective

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2008, 05:07:31 PM »

What size nozzle does it come with?

1.4.. stainless steel.

gage

« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2008, 05:19:11 AM »

CLEARCOAT SETUP TIMES/CARE FOR NEW PAINT

I recently had my tank done and was told that the clear would not fully harden for about a week. During that time I shouldn't wash the bike.

I was also told that I shouldn't wax the paint until after two weeks and shouldn't apply my tank pad until after three.

My question is what additional precautions should I take with my new paint job and are the ones above reasonable or should I wait longer?

TIA
Gage
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2008, 06:45:10 AM »

CLEARCOAT SETUP TIMES/CARE FOR NEW PAINT

I recently had my tank done and was told that the clear would not fully harden for about a week. During that time I shouldn't wash the bike.

I was also told that I shouldn't wax the paint until after two weeks and shouldn't apply my tank pad until after three.

My question is what additional precautions should I take with my new paint job and are the ones above reasonable or should I wait longer?

TIA
Gage
I don't buy the no washing. Use mild detergent and dry the finish with a soft cloth. If the clear is that soft the tank was delivered to you too soon.

Most manufacturers say 30-60 days before wax...full cure. The same applies to any adhesive backed items or anything that would prevent outgassing or mark the clear due to the solvents in the adhesives.

The number one killer for paint..any paint is when the finish is wiped while dry. The dust and dirt on the surface will scratch the clear. Water when washing acts as a lubricant to float the dirt off the surface.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 06:49:40 AM by ducpainter » Logged

perspective

gage

« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2008, 08:23:00 AM »

I don't buy the no washing. Use mild detergent and dry the finish with a soft cloth. If the clear is that soft the tank was delivered to you too soon.

Most manufacturers say 30-60 days before wax...full cure. The same applies to any adhesive backed items or anything that would prevent outgassing or mark the clear due to the solvents in the adhesives.

The number one killer for paint..any paint is when the finish is wiped while dry. The dust and dirt on the surface will scratch the clear. Water when washing acts as a lubricant to float the dirt off the surface.

I thought the one about washing didn't sound right and will follow your advice regarding all the others.

Thanks!
red baron

« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2008, 07:47:51 AM »

90 days Grin at 70 degrees

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 67   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: