Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 19, 2024, 04:22:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 57   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Knives..what are your favorites?  (Read 209205 times)
WarrenJ

« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2010, 05:22:29 PM »

Thats a beautiful chefs knife.  I got two from Takeda from Japan.  He was at the Chicago Custom Knife Show several years ago.  They are not nearly as pretty as that one but they cut real well.  They are very fragile and you have to be very careful what you cut, but wow, when you are using them as intended it makes kitchen prep pretty fun!

I am pretty good at the smithing part but my handle work still leaves a little to be desired.  Once all the fire and sparks are done and I've hand polished the blade and it cuts, I loose interest a bit.  I have a whole box full of blades waiting for handles.  When I want to use one, I do a quick cord wrap on it and get my cutting done.  I have done handles in micarta and several exotic woods but it isn't as fun to me as beating the steel into shape.  

This isn't a dress rehearsal for life - this is it!
WarrenJ

« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2010, 05:32:09 PM »

Found a pic of one in process.  I will take some pics of blades in the next couple days and get them posted.

IZ

TOB/DMF member since '02

« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2010, 07:25:03 PM »

I picked up a couple of Mantis blades from "Mr. Knife Guy" yesterday here in Chandler.  http://www.mrknifeguy.com/

Brent, the owner, was very knowledgable and had a nice selection of brands and styles.

"Chaos" 

"Cinq 1" Karambit

2018 Scrambler 800 "Argento"
2010 Monster 1100 "Niro" 
2003 Monster 620 "Scuro"

This just in..IZ is not that short..and I am not that tall.
cokey
hey take a look @ my

« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2010, 05:58:50 AM »

Cinq. I like..

I WIN
Quote from: my wife
Ok babe I surrender to u.  U may work me out till I drop

About the goat...
 His name was Bob, but the family called him BeelzeBob. 
make the beast with two backs goats.
Bun-bun

2002 M620 Dark ie

« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2010, 03:19:22 AM »

I'm a little late to this thread, but I'll post up anyway.
My daily carry knife is a Gerber Mel Pardue SBT3550 auto. I use it as a tool, the auto feature is great when you're holding a piece of wood over your head, and have to mark a line or cut a sliver off to make it fit. It has also helped me avoid trouble a couple of times. Holding it up, pushing a button, and having it go *snick* and people back the make the beast with two backs off.
My camping knife is also a Gerber, a MkI belt/boot knife. Small enough that I don't feel like a Rambo wannabe, but tough enough to handle camping chores, and takes a great edge.
My dress knife is from Lone Wolf Knives, and is a Gerber Paul style with bubinga handles and a damascus blade. Gorgeous knife, but only about 2 1/2" long.
Some beautiful knives in this thread.

"A fanatic is a man who does what he knows God would do, if only god had all the facts of the matter" S.M. Stirling
IZ

TOB/DMF member since '02

« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2010, 03:43:32 AM »

Thanks for the input BB.
I'm checking out a Pohl knife now. Any comments on this brand?

2010 Monster 1100 "Niro" 
2003 Monster 620 "Scuro"

cokey
hey take a look @ my

« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2010, 01:22:59 PM »

I'm a little late to this thread, but I'll post up anyway.
My daily carry knife is a Gerber Mel Pardue SBT3550 auto. I use it as a tool, the auto feature is great when you're holding a piece of wood over your head, and have to mark a line or cut a sliver off to make it fit. It has also helped me avoid trouble a couple of times. Holding it up, pushing a button, and having it go *snick* and people back the make the beast with two backs off.
My camping knife is also a Gerber, a MkI belt/boot knife. Small enough that I don't feel like a Rambo wannabe, but tough enough to handle camping chores, and takes a great edge.
My dress knife is from Lone Wolf Knives, and is a Gerber Paul style with bubinga handles and a damascus blade. Gorgeous knife, but only about 2 1/2" long.
Some beautiful knives in this thread.

Any pics?

I WIN
Quote from: my wife
Ok babe I surrender to u.  U may work me out till I drop

About the goat...
 His name was Bob, but the family called him BeelzeBob. 
make the beast with two backs goats.
IZ

TOB/DMF member since '02

« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2010, 02:34:26 PM »

My new one!!  The Pohl H3 Alpha 2..

Check out the Hornet on the homepage too.  Liking that skull!!   Evil

http://www.pohlforce.de/
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 02:37:47 PM by IZ » Logged

2010 Monster 1100 "Niro" 
2003 Monster 620 "Scuro"

RVA Duc

2000 M900 Sie

« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2010, 02:43:27 PM »

SOG Trident is my favorite though.  It is in my pocket at all times.

+1 My everyday knife
fastwin
She pointed and laughed at my

tap, rack, bang

« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2010, 02:58:36 PM »

Isn't it funny, just thinking here, that in this day of incredible high technology with all the lap tops and smart phones that can do your laundry, wash your dishes, take pics and videos, etc. we all still revert to carrying the modern version of what the cave man used. A sharp bladed tool. And we use it every day in some manner or another. It may not be a piece of sharpened flint but it's still the same damn thing. Some things never change. Like most of you, I'd feel naked walking out the door without my knife. Screw my cell phone, ain't going anywhere without my folder. waytogo Interesting... Grin

I plan to list the Federal Gov't. as a dependent on my next 1040 tax filing!

I have flying honey badgers and I'm not afraid to use them!

The fact that flame throwers exist is proof that someone somewhere said "I'd sure like to set those people over there on fire but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

CONFIDENCE: the feeling you have right before you understand the situation.
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2010, 07:05:47 AM »

Interesting observation

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
77south

« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2010, 05:52:48 AM »

I don't have a forge or anything but for the last year or so, I have wanted to start knifemaking along these lines.
http://www.knivesofflint.com/KNIVES_HUNTERS.php
WarrenJ

« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2010, 06:57:21 AM »

Flint knapping has always fascinated me.  I've chipped out a few flints for my flintlocks but trying a knife blade looks pretty interesting.  From what I understand, they cut pretty well.  I've found several knapped arrowheads and one stone knife on my farm over the last 20 years.  Always interesting to find!

fastwin
She pointed and laughed at my

tap, rack, bang

« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2010, 09:58:48 AM »

I have a good friend that is really into excavating ancient American Indian sites in the Texas Hill Country area (Austin to San Antonio, etc) and he has found some really nice arrow points. He's actually very good at making primitive bows and arrows. He knows a thing or two about knapping out arrow points. Neat stuff. waytogo Think I'd better stick to my Benchmade folder. Grin

I plan to list the Federal Gov't. as a dependent on my next 1040 tax filing!

I have flying honey badgers and I'm not afraid to use them!

The fact that flame throwers exist is proof that someone somewhere said "I'd sure like to set those people over there on fire but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

CONFIDENCE: the feeling you have right before you understand the situation.
slowpoke13

« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2010, 11:43:43 AM »

I've got a Ken Onion Leek for daily civvie clothes carry. A protech auto-opener for uniform carry (it's a bit heavier). I've got a SOG trident. But, don't like the stippling on my knife handles. Pain in the butt to pull out of the pocket.

slowpokesan
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 57   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: