Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 12, 2024, 06:17:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 72   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You're too stupid to... own a diesel small truck  (Read 249992 times)
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #480 on: August 30, 2013, 10:21:45 AM »

+1

I'd be interested in the Colorado/Canyon as a commuter, but I'll have to do the math again.  My guess is at 30mpg it won't pay off soon enough.  A minitruck can't replace the 2500HD on the farm, and we need the seating of the Subaru... so this would be an "in addition to", not an "instead of" for myself and my wife.  Undecided  This same issue has put a damper on other diesel options like the Jetta and Golf.  Diesel Jetta Sportwagen, while cool, doesn't have AWD or 9" of ground clearance.  Since we get 8-12" of snow at a time in winter, I want to keep at least two vehicles with decent ground clearance (always have backups... especially when you live in the middle of nowhere).

Oh well... since I completed some --*ahem* certain mods-- to the Silverado a couple weeks ago, it now gets 19 mpg.  Grin  Between that and the Subaru's 25+ mpg, we're not too horribly bad off.

I think getting a small diesel commuter will make more sense once we have a third kid (none now, 4 planned).  At that time, we'd have to upgrade from the Scooby-doo to a Tahoe/Suburban... so then I will want to have a much more efficient commuter vehicle, and the Subaru will probably go down the road.  Hopefully by then there will be more small diesel options.

With the 2.8L Duramax model and a long bed and crew cab, you can approximate much of the Silverado's utility, but not sheer payload of course.  Add 4wd and you've got plenty of options.

With any truck, you're not going to seat 6 ppl easily, esp not with child seats. 

I wonder what the 30 mpg estimate for the diesel Colorado is based on?  which engine?  probalby not the bigger one.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #481 on: September 04, 2013, 09:34:32 AM »

Now I'm curious and anxious...

Mostly about the Dodge 1/2 ton and the Nissan.  We'll see how those 2 fare.  

I read the article referenced here: http://gas2.org/2011/03/15/ford-exec-says-diesels-don%E2%80%99t-make-sense-for-america/ about Ford not bringing diesels to America.  I have to disagree but that's just me.

Perhaps if more diesels were on the American roads, it would bring down fuel costs....  But, that's just my ramblings.

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
duc_fan

Designated right-wing religious kook.

« Reply #482 on: September 04, 2013, 11:18:01 AM »

This is probably old news to some of you, but I just looked at Chevy's website for the first time in a while... the Cruze diesel is only available as an auto.  Angry

If I was in the market today, that killed it for me.  Not gonna buy another slushbox.  We already have three, and they're barely tolerable.  Can't wait to get my GTI project back on the road.  3-pedal is where it's at, both for fun and fuel economy.

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

"I want a peaceful soul. I need a bigger gun." -- Charlie Crews on Life

Street: 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Track: 2005 Honda CBR 600RR - Salvage project
Sold: 2001 Ducati SS900ie - Gone, but not forgotten...
J5

I'm here to fix zee fridge

« Reply #483 on: September 04, 2013, 11:56:16 AM »

This is probably old news to some of you, but I just looked at Chevy's website for the first time in a while... the Cruze diesel is only available as an auto.  Angry

If I was in the market today, that killed it for me.  Not gonna buy another slushbox.  We already have three, and they're barely tolerable.  Can't wait to get my GTI project back on the road.  3-pedal is where it's at, both for fun and fuel economy.

its funny they do that

down here when the cruze came out it came as petrol and diesel

the base model cd
high level cdx

the gf wanted auto and you couldnt get the cdx in auto diesel
only the cd you could get in diesel and pick an auto as an option

i dont care if you have been a mechanic for 10 years doing something for a long time does not make you good at it, take my gf for an example shes been walking for 28 years and still manages to fall over all the time.
Randimus Maximus
Local Moderator
Post Whore

'01 996SPS

« Reply #484 on: September 04, 2013, 04:01:52 PM »

Allegedly, Toyota could use the same engine as Nissan in the Tundra: http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/02/toyota-tundra-cummins-diesel-engine/

I was told we were in negotiations with CAT.

Who knows.

DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #485 on: September 04, 2013, 04:43:08 PM »

Allegedly, Toyota could use the same engine as Nissan in the Tundra: http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/02/toyota-tundra-cummins-diesel-engine/

I was told we were in negotiations with CAT.

Who knows.

Why not the KD or VD Series? I did like the L series and HD/HZ series engines . . .the KZ was 'ok' . . .

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #486 on: September 04, 2013, 10:36:04 PM »

Why not the KD or VD Series? I did like the L series and HD/HZ series engines . . .the KZ was 'ok' . . .

Better question; why not put one in the Taco?

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
DarkMonster620
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #487 on: September 05, 2013, 02:59:57 AM »

Calling Randimus to the Pink courtesy phone, calling Randimus to the Pink courtesy phone, please pick up any pink courtesy phone to answer your call!

D;

Carlos
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Randimus Maximus
Local Moderator
Post Whore

'01 996SPS

« Reply #488 on: September 05, 2013, 04:40:04 AM »

If I were calling the shots, that would have happened about 5-10 years ago.

Would have been a logical first step in getting our dealers ready for a diesel.

The truck and engine is the easy part.

Getting our dealers ready to service a diesel is the hard part. 

Since we've not had a diesel in our lineup since the early 80s, most of our stores are not equipped to handle such repairs.

But I digress.

DarkMonster620
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #489 on: September 05, 2013, 04:46:35 AM »

..., most of our stores are not equipped to handle such repairs.

But I digress.

So, no hand tools for diesels? Not looking to start an argument or anything, but, if that were the case, the shade tree shops would not be able to take out or re-install the pumps and injectors . ..  after that, some call me  Grin

Diagnostics upgrade is just that, a download, maybe some new cables, you don't want anyone loosening a fitting on a CRi diesel with preasure in it Shocked . . . Most tests are done via OBD plug  . . .

Carlos
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #490 on: September 05, 2013, 05:09:24 AM »

Quote from: Duck-Stew link=topic=52019.msg1199121#msg1199121

Perhaps if more diesels were on the American roads, it would bring down fuel costs....  But, that's just my ramblings.

With increased demand it would bring prices up but production would lower it medium term.  Diesel is easier to make and biodiesel blends are true "green" fuels with built in socalled carbon offsets.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Randimus Maximus
Local Moderator
Post Whore

'01 996SPS

« Reply #491 on: September 05, 2013, 05:28:26 AM »

So, no hand tools for diesels? Not looking to start an argument or anything, but, if that were the case, the shade tree shops would not be able to take out or re-install the pumps and injectors . ..  after that, some call me  Grin

Diagnostics upgrade is just that, a download, maybe some new cables, you don't want anyone loosening a fitting on a CRi diesel with preasure in it Shocked . . . Most tests are done via OBD plug  . . .

Unless one of our dealerships is partnered with a Ford, GM or Ram franchise, the likelihood of them having a technician capable of working on a diesel is low.

I don't believe we even have many within our own organization to train technician how to diagnose & repair diesels.

Having a diesel certified technician at each selling dealership would be a requirement.  Tools would be as well, but we would automatically ship those to the dealers through our tool vendor.

DarkMonster620
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #492 on: September 05, 2013, 09:50:35 AM »

Unless one of our dealerships is partnered with a Ford, GM or Ram franchise, the likelihood of them having a technician capable of working on a diesel is low.

I don't believe we even have many within our own organization to train technician how to diagnose & repair diesels.

Having a diesel certified technician at each selling dealership would be a requirement.  Tools would be as well, but we would automatically ship those to the dealers through our tool vendor.

Need one? Grin

Carlos
duc_fan

Designated right-wing religious kook.

« Reply #493 on: September 05, 2013, 10:02:05 AM »

Yep... tools are one thing, knowing how to use them is something else entirely.  Check out the Duramax forums for horror stories about dealers with clueless techs.  There are some great dealers & techs, but then there are some terrible ones.

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

"I want a peaceful soul. I need a bigger gun." -- Charlie Crews on Life

Street: 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Track: 2005 Honda CBR 600RR - Salvage project
Sold: 2001 Ducati SS900ie - Gone, but not forgotten...
Randimus Maximus
Local Moderator
Post Whore

'01 996SPS

« Reply #494 on: September 05, 2013, 03:57:22 PM »

Yep... tools are one thing, knowing how to use them is something else entirely.  Check out the Duramax forums for horror stories about dealers with clueless techs.  There are some great dealers & techs, but then there are some terrible ones.

At some of our dealers that have domestic franchises, their $30+/FRH diesel technicians are being lured away by the oil field or mining operators for even greater pay.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 72   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: