Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 08:14:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 37   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ML builds an old truck  (Read 42043 times)
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #150 on: February 15, 2022, 06:15:35 AM »

Good morning coffee
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #151 on: February 15, 2022, 06:29:08 AM »

Good morning coffee

No coffee in this thread.

Post a pic of an old truck for penance. ..

A cool one.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #152 on: February 15, 2022, 06:41:01 AM »

Good morning

Oops Embarrassed

https://hdrcreme.com/photo-gallery/44713/old-truck-montana
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 06:42:54 AM by howie » Logged
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #153 on: February 15, 2022, 06:53:56 AM »

Redeemed

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Randimus Maximus
Local Moderator
Post Whore

'01 996SPS

« Reply #154 on: February 15, 2022, 07:23:28 AM »

I never worked for them.

waytogo

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #155 on: February 15, 2022, 07:26:51 AM »

Depending on the mileage of these axles You might entertain the thought of a complete disassembly,
    pinion bearings and hub bearings. Having rebuilt dozens of axles I have found it to be a better approach,
    You will also need a case spreader to get it together with the proper bearing preload. Not knowing how
     much experience You have I hope I am not out of line, but I have seen a lot bad "U Tube" rebuilds.
     Dana Spicer instructions also apply to any Salisbury type axle,needs to be right for big HP...

I had never heard of a case spreader until you mentioned it in your post. Did a little reading and it looks like a handy tool. I see a bunch of guys have used them or made their own with threaded rod and still others have elected to smack the carrier into place with a deadblow hammer.  What are your thoughts on the hammer method?

Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #156 on: February 15, 2022, 07:59:59 AM »

Best to use a case spreader.

I tend to regard most of humanity as little more than walking talking dilated sphincters. - Rat
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #157 on: February 15, 2022, 09:03:00 AM »

Taking it into more pieces is always the way to get things on the road.

It'll probably be fine, and if not, it's easily replaceable.

Just give it a Krylon restoration and run it.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #158 on: February 15, 2022, 09:25:43 AM »

Taking it into more pieces is always the way to get things on the road.

It'll probably be fine, and if not, it's easily replaceable.

Just give it a Krylon restoration and run it.

I'm replacing the carrier and bearings with a Detroit Trutrac

KRJ

'07 MTS 1100S , '03 XR650L , '78 KZ 1000

« Reply #159 on: February 15, 2022, 10:01:20 AM »

Morning, the case spreader is needed to prevent the shims/ bearings from gouging the seating surface. Most often You have
     to remove, replace the carrier several times to get the proper pattern. Changing the pinion bearings will help bring things back to
      the factory spec. for those gears. You will want .010 -.014 in. carrier bearing preload if I remember right, hammering in and prying out
       ain't a lot of fun. I would loan You mine but shipping might be too much from Colo. and their not hard to build. All part of the Fun.....

" I believe You understand what You think I said, but I'm not sure You realize that what You heard is not what I meant " !!
KRJ

'07 MTS 1100S , '03 XR650L , '78 KZ 1000

« Reply #160 on: February 15, 2022, 10:41:22 AM »

Another thing while I've got time, I don't spend a lot of time trying to get the "perfect" pattern
    with used gears. Focus on the drive side and get as close as possible, it will be fine. This looks
     like a really cool project, hope this can be of some help

" I believe You understand what You think I said, but I'm not sure You realize that what You heard is not what I meant " !!
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #161 on: February 15, 2022, 10:49:12 AM »

I'm replacing the carrier and bearings with a Detroit Trutrac

But what flavour Krylon?

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #162 on: February 15, 2022, 02:43:31 PM »

Another vote for case spreader.
Randimus Maximus
Local Moderator
Post Whore

'01 996SPS

« Reply #163 on: February 15, 2022, 03:33:51 PM »

But what flavour Krylon?

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #164 on: February 17, 2022, 03:59:09 AM »

I'll just get one of these

It'll be fine

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 37   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: