Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 05:21:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 34   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ML builds an old truck  (Read 39001 times)
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #180 on: May 01, 2022, 02:59:34 AM »

It's going to look wicked. Great work and its impressive watching your problem solving on the run.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #181 on: May 01, 2022, 03:20:06 AM »

There's no shortage of problems laughingdp

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #182 on: June 19, 2022, 09:59:05 AM »

Thanks, man!  I'm trying to stay on it. I'd like to drive it this summer if that's at all possible.

Definitely not happening this summer. I am still waiting on an SFI bell housingb that was suppose be here in January.

I've been working on other things in the meantime and will be posting pictures of that work shortly.

I'm thinking plan B might be to use an aluminum bell housing with one of those Kevlar explosion blankets on top of it. Depending on how long the steel housing takes to get I may not have a choice.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #183 on: June 19, 2022, 10:27:04 AM »

Time to try and get this rear end put together. Forklifts make great portable work benches that are also height adjustable.
2022-06-19_02-04-08 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

This is a full floating 3/4 ton truck rear end. It's sort of nice to just remove a bunch of bolts and pull the whole axle right out of the housing. Everything's fairly heavy duty and I think plenty for my application.

Here's one side I'll put back together. Everything had to come off in order to replace the dust shields. And, incidentally, I had to order two sets. This axle uses two of the same stamping and everything commercially available is a left and a right. And since many things designed by Ford are done by interns and not checked this follows suit.
2022-06-19_02-04-41 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

I may have gone a little overboard on my rear suspension joints. I bought 2 in by 1/4 wall DOM tube and these are the heim joint kits that will slip into the end and get welded into place. They are well bigger than probably what I really need but I'm happy to err on the side of caution. Besides, big suspension links will look badass.
2022-06-19_02-05-43 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

Big.
2022-06-19_02-06-32 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

This is the rear end basically sitting in place. I kind of guessed along with some rough measurements. I did have some friends come down and help me put the bed on so that I can check for fore/aft placement and it looks like I got that right. Made some marks on the frames so that I can put the housing back in the same spot later on.
2022-06-19_02-06-53 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

I'm 100% in love with the look!
2022-06-19_02-07-08 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

2022-06-19_02-07-53 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #184 on: June 19, 2022, 10:37:43 AM »

Lovin' this  waytogo

popcorn

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #185 on: June 19, 2022, 10:39:56 AM »

Now to the front axle. I found myself with a decision to make since I wanted heavy duty brakes and components but did not need a differential. So I decided on the F-250 four-wheel drive front axle housing with differential delete. The plan is to cut the ends off, machine the factory axle tube out of them, fit them onto my own steel pipe and weld into place.

I clamped the housing to the forks on my forklift and sort of positioned it in their right spot so that my harbor freight saw was able to come down and cut through the tube. There was no other way to get this onto the saw. I will admit that there was an incident involving gravity and this axle housing but I still have all my fingers so we're just going to leave it at that.
2022-06-19_02-08-32 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

Here you can see one of the ends fixtured on my Bridgeport. The goal was to only remove the factory tube and not at all enlarge the bore in the knuckle. Is it a knuckle? I honestly don't know what this particular piece is called. It's the c shaped thingy that gets welded on the axle tubes and all the rest of the bits bolt to it with ball joints.

So I got it on the Bridgeport and used an indexable cutter to basically plunge out four corners and chisel out the bits. But actually worked pretty well the first time around.
2022-06-19_02-09-30 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

2022-06-19_02-09-40 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

I took a lot of intensive measurements to figure out what width I needed to cut this tube to and got it to within about a quarter inch total of what I wanted. No complaints.

The downside is that it wasn't very round and needed a lot of sanding to bring it down close enough to the bore on these axle ends. From the factory they are pressed on and welded around the outside of the tube with about a 3/8 fill it weld. 10 mm for my overseas friends.

I was not comfortable welding on these since they are cast steel. Even though cast steel is fully weldable I don't have any experience with it and I don't want this to be my learning piece.  

I was able to use a pipe sander to get the tube close enough that I was able to hammer the ends on. It was a tight enough fit that they easily stayed in position but a hammer was also able to rotate them a little bit. I needed each side to be at the same angle after all.
2022-06-19_02-09-52 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

2022-06-19_02-10-11 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

I was able to get each end hammered on and rotated to within .3° of each other.
2022-06-19_02-10-20 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

Once I had them on I used my TIG welder to tack the faces so that they stayed in place. That actually went so well I went fully around each face with the TIG welder. It was honestly some of the best beads I've ever had in steel in my life. I'm either getting better or the stars aligned. Possibly a bit of both.

Nobody around here wanted to weld it for liability reasons and I ended up at a hole in the wall machine shop about 2 hours from here that specialized in axle work and did a ton of work for guys in the pulling truck circuits. He came highly recommended. His wells are not what I would call amazing looking but they are 100% functional in my opinion. Totally worth $100 cash.

2022-06-19_02-10-38 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

Front brake caliper. Big.
2022-06-19_02-10-57 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

I have the truck more or less at the ride height that I would like to end up with and currently that means the front axle tube and the frame will share some space.

Right now the plan is to zee the frame over that front tube maybe about 6 in. I'm shooting for around 4 in of travel in each direction from static ride height.

I'll probably do that and add some suspension hoops for coilover shocks and springs. I'm thinking triangulated four link for the rear and a parallel four link with a panhard bar for the front if I have room.

Additionally I have to fit a steering box and the crossover steering mechanism that the f250s run.

Once I get a bell housing I can put my engine and transmission together and sort of hang them in place where I'd like them to be and start to see what hits what.

All the suspension stuff I think I'm just going to tack into place so that I can move things later on if I absolutely have to.

I probably also have adding a transmission tunnel to the floor in my future but that is an unknown until I can physically get a transmission hanging onto the frame.

More to come...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 10:47:17 AM by Monsterlover » Logged

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #186 on: June 19, 2022, 10:42:35 AM »

Lovin' this  waytogo

popcorn

Anything to help you heal up faster my friend!

Randimus Maximus
Local Moderator
Post Whore

'01 996SPS

« Reply #187 on: June 19, 2022, 10:45:58 AM »

Awesome!

kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #188 on: June 19, 2022, 10:58:31 AM »

Evil Evil

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #189 on: June 19, 2022, 12:33:28 PM »

applause

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #190 on: June 19, 2022, 04:34:33 PM »

WOW!
Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #191 on: June 20, 2022, 11:48:01 AM »

Nice. So it'll be done soon?  laughingdp

I tend to regard most of humanity as little more than walking talking dilated sphincters. - Rat
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #192 on: June 20, 2022, 03:15:53 PM »

Looking good man!

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #193 on: June 21, 2022, 01:23:35 PM »

Very cool.  waytogo

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #194 on: June 28, 2022, 02:47:20 PM »

Bravo. That's a make the beast with two backsin big Tonka toy. applause

2015 Scrambler 800