Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 02:24:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 37   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ML builds an old truck  (Read 41865 times)
Randimus Maximus
Local Moderator
Post Whore

'01 996SPS

« Reply #165 on: February 17, 2022, 03:04:23 PM »

You never know when that may come in handy for another project.

Or DIMBY shenanigans...

Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #166 on: February 17, 2022, 03:48:26 PM »

You never know when that may come in handy for another project.

Or DIMBY shenanigans...

I'm certain we can find something improper to do with it Grin

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #167 on: March 03, 2022, 01:41:39 PM »

Update time.  I've made some progress.

I bought a 255 amp 220v/1ph mig welder at an auction last summer and finally got it up and running and moved to the house.  I needed to add some fish plates to my frame where I cut it in order to add back some strength so I ran some test beads to get the machine dialed.  I'm happy with the welding I did but I wish the beads looked a little better.  They're very functional though and nobody will ever see them when this is done.

2022-03-03_04-09-52 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

My welding area - Miller TIG, Century (now owned by Lincoln) mig and a chinese plasma cutter that's really really awesome.
2022-03-03_04-10-12 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

I made cardboard templates for the plates, transferred that to wood and added in some offset to account for the head on the plasma torch and then cut from 3/16 sheet.
2022-03-03_04-10-32 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

2022-03-03_04-10-51 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

2022-03-03_04-11-05 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

2022-03-03_04-13-27 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

2022-03-03_04-11-44 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

2022-03-03_04-12-02 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

The next order of business was to ditch the Mustang 2 front end someone added to this frame sometime before me.  They really didn't do such a great job welding it in.  Lots of areas that could have been welded weren't and a lot of the beads had bad penetration.  Kind of just piled into the joint and not melting into the parent material.  It took a couple hours of cutting with the plasma but she's gone.

2022-03-03_04-12-16 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

2022-03-03_04-12-32 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

2022-03-03_04-13-39 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

I'm going a little unconventional with this project and part of that was I HAD to have some nasty looking tires.  That meant 35x12.50 off road tires and a set of plain Jane steel wheels from Summit Racing.  With the front end gone I couldn't help but place these tires to get a glimpse of what things are likely to look like at the end.
2022-03-03_04-11-31 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

2022-03-03_04-12-57 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

2022-03-03_04-13-15 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

Turning my attention back to the rear axle I needed to get new carrier bearings onto the Detroit Trutrac that I'm putting in place of the oem open diff.  I froze the carrier in the freezer at the shop over a weekend and then did the work Monday afternoon.  This device you see on the bridgeport table is actually a hot plate designed to help repair cell phone screens.  I borrowed it from someone it the building and turned it up to 175c (around 350f) to expand the bearings.

According to the CMM I have at the shop the ID on the bearings grew more than .005"  I turned an aluminum driver to fit the bearings and the mill spindle turning it into an arbor press.  It worked but the bearing only went on 2/3 of the way.  I pulled my driver and added a hammer to the equation and was easily able to drive both bearings all the way home.
2022-03-03_04-13-51 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

2022-03-03_04-14-01 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

I pulled the open diff and did a little measuring of both units on the CMM
2022-03-03_04-14-44 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

Other than that I was able to pull the rear end and leaves from the truck to make way for the parallel four link I'll be building.  The axle that was in there was a ford 8.8 from (I think) a Ranger or F150.  What I thought was really cool was that the leaf spring mounting bolts were both greaseable. The bolts were drilled and had grease zerks on them.
2022-03-03_04-14-13 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

Right now I'm in the process of replacing rotted brake rotor dust shields and e-brake hardware on the rear end.  After that will be figuring out shims/backlash on the ring gear.  Once that's done it'll go home with me for rear suspension mock up.

I already got in some 2" x 3/16 wall channel and I have 40 feet of 2" x .25 wall DOM tube on the way.  40' of that stuff was $700.  I shit my pants when I got that quote.  It's enough to do both the front and rear link bars and I'm already in for a penny so....

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #168 on: March 03, 2022, 06:31:46 PM »

Oh hell yeaah!

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #169 on: March 03, 2022, 10:50:28 PM »

popcorn
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #170 on: March 04, 2022, 06:36:10 AM »

ML tries out the new bluetooth suspension.  Grin

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
Randimus Maximus
Local Moderator
Post Whore

'01 996SPS

« Reply #171 on: March 04, 2022, 06:54:07 AM »

applause applause

Nice progress, ML!

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #172 on: March 04, 2022, 07:39:59 AM »

Like riding on a cloud

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #173 on: March 04, 2022, 07:40:43 AM »

applause applause

Nice progress, ML!

Thanks, man!  I'm trying to stay on it. I'd like to drive it this summer if that's at all possible.

Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #174 on: March 04, 2022, 10:39:42 AM »

Thanks, man!  I'm trying to stay on it. I'd like to drive it this summer if that's at all possible.

Hard to stay on 'em.

I like to look at the small picture and make a list. Makes it seem less daunting.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #175 on: March 04, 2022, 11:24:12 AM »

Hard to stay on 'em.

I like to look at the small picture and make a list. Makes it seem less daunting.

I'm not finding any of it daunting actually. I have the large bullet points in my head and any small stuff that crops up I just figure out how to deal with.

1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #176 on: April 18, 2022, 07:21:13 PM »

Late to the party.  Just here to watch... popcorn

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #177 on: April 19, 2022, 02:45:43 AM »

Late to the party.  Just here to watch... popcorn

Don't worry, this show will be on for a while Grin

Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #178 on: April 19, 2022, 10:03:43 AM »

I figured you'd be done by now  Grin

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #179 on: April 19, 2022, 10:08:09 AM »

I figured you'd be done by now  Grin

I don't know why you would think that laughingdp

I got a long ways to go..

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 37   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: