Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 08:33:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695252 times)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #2430 on: May 16, 2012, 12:04:50 PM »

If you top-up after every ride, thereby reducing the surface area of fuel exposed to the air, will this help to mitigate absorption?

This has been my running assumption, but I've been wrong before.

Agreed. And I'm also running pure gas as long as I can still find it. Picked up 10 more gallons yesterday in NC while running an errand. Same price as the "corn" crap too.  Wink

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #2431 on: May 16, 2012, 01:01:25 PM »

If you top-up after every ride, thereby reducing the surface area of fuel exposed to the air, will this help to mitigate absorption?

This has been my running assumption, but I've been wrong before.

If you are running fuel thru it regularly, i.e. filling and then running it down within a short time, then i think the problem is limited.  I think the problem arises when the fuel is sitting in the tank for a while, regardless how full it is.  The ethanol wicks moisture and separates.  More fuel = more water.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #2432 on: May 16, 2012, 02:54:10 PM »

If you are running fuel thru it regularly, i.e. filling and then running it down within a short time, then i think the problem is limited.  I think the problem arises when the fuel is sitting in the tank for a while, regardless how full it is.  The ethanol wicks moisture and separates.  More fuel = more water.

That seems to mirror my experience.  The times my tank swelled coincided with times it sat for months without being ridden.

Moral of this story?  Ride!   Dolph

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

K3V1N

« Reply #2433 on: May 29, 2012, 06:17:28 PM »

Pictures from my tank sealing. The things I learned that I would like to share. I would use the whole batch and then wipe the excess out. I used a coat hanger with a piece of rag to get a spot that wouldn't cover. I also used my iPhone to take photos inside.

After first coat

Raux
« Reply #2434 on: May 29, 2012, 11:32:10 PM »

ALIEN STOMACHS!!!!
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #2435 on: May 30, 2012, 07:41:58 AM »

i thought this was a pg13 site?

Desert Dust
Ten Most Popular Uses for a

"There's no glamour in Nirvana, no glamour at all"

« Reply #2436 on: June 02, 2012, 12:12:28 PM »

I'm getting ready to take possession of my third tank now, so I have decided to bite the bullet and pay to get it coated.

Where do you buy the coating? How much should this cost?

Thanks for the help.

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2437 on: June 02, 2012, 12:19:46 PM »

I'm getting ready to take possession of my third tank now, so I have decided to bite the bullet and pay to get it coated.

Where do you buy the coating? How much should this cost?

Thanks for the help.

i've only got experience with the "old" caswells, apparently they have a new version that is red -- but the website says it is the same formula, just colored to make application easier.

http://www.caswellplating.com/restoration-aids/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Desert Dust
Ten Most Popular Uses for a

"There's no glamour in Nirvana, no glamour at all"

« Reply #2438 on: June 02, 2012, 12:22:13 PM »

Thanks for the quick response.

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2439 on: June 02, 2012, 12:45:11 PM »

Thanks for the quick response.

a new tank should be prepped just the same as an old tank.  you can rinse it with acetone (nylon has excellent resistance to acetone)...  but you won't need to rinse it with anything else.  rough the surface the best you can.  wire brush, screws if you're comfortable putting them in, etc. 

PA6 and acetone (have to scroll thru the chart)
http://k-mac-plastics.net/chemical-large.htm

Punx Clever
It never got strange enough for my

« Reply #2440 on: June 02, 2012, 03:52:49 PM »

Just went to the dealer to talk about getting my tank replaced... apparently you need to ride your bike into the shop...

2008 S2R 1000 - Archangel

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.  - HST
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2441 on: June 02, 2012, 03:57:47 PM »

Just went to the dealer to talk about getting my tank replaced... apparently you need to ride your bike into the shop...

in order for it to be warranty work, they have to have your bike.

some shops will let you take the new tank while they have your bike and have it coated before the install.  if not, it's not a big deal to rinse the gas out.

Punx Clever
It never got strange enough for my

« Reply #2442 on: June 02, 2012, 04:57:00 PM »

No big deal in the end... it's my "spare" tank that needs replaced.  Just that the bike is in a bunch of pieces right now, so I'll have to wait until I get everything back together

2008 S2R 1000 - Archangel

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.  - HST
Uncle Mofo

"Must Win Track Day" Uncle Mofo Racing 2007 S4RS

« Reply #2443 on: June 02, 2012, 07:33:20 PM »

So I got a new tank, the new "adjustable" hinge bracket and those new fugly oversized rubber mounts on the frame. 
Wtf those things are huge and stick out.

2007 red S4Rs
Curmudgeon

« Reply #2444 on: June 02, 2012, 08:07:32 PM »

So I got a new tank, the new "adjustable" hinge bracket and those new fugly oversized rubber mounts on the frame. 
Wtf those things are huge and stick out.
Sooo..., either coat it, or run K100 in it with your E-10.  Cool http://www.k100fueltreatment.com/

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: