Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 08:42:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695260 times)
Wedge
Wedge

« Reply #2700 on: June 09, 2013, 04:30:15 AM »

Thanks!  I'm going to get mine coated ASAP!  I'm really surprised there aren't more after-market options that look like the original.  Does anyone know if Star Tron ethenol treatment will prevent the damage or al least decelerate its effects?Huh? 
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #2701 on: June 09, 2013, 07:02:45 AM »

You can coat it even after fueling it. It's just a matter of letting it dry out.

yes BUT..

You need to do more than let it dry out.  The gasoline has to be completely removed.. see my instructions in the other thread for how to thoroughly rinse it of fuel.

Thanks!  I'm going to get mine coated ASAP!  I'm really surprised there aren't more after-market options that look like the original.  Does anyone know if Star Tron ethenol treatment will prevent the damage or al least decelerate its effects?Huh? 

No.  Most fuel treatments do not prevent separation or water ingestion, they just give the fuel an additive which makes it burn ok.  It will still wick water and your tank will still absorb it.

Most additives are a mixture of ethanol, mineral spirits, kerosene and a host of other -enes that do nothing but raise the octane a little.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
The Bearded Duc
a.k.a. duc750

« Reply #2702 on: June 09, 2013, 12:23:57 PM »

You can coat it even after fueling it. It's just a matter of letting it dry out.

Thanks waytogo

Wasn't completely positive.

2001 M750 - Sold
2006 S2R 800 - She's just darling
Wedge
Wedge

« Reply #2703 on: June 10, 2013, 04:13:16 AM »

The CA Cycleworks tank would solve the problem forever, is affordable but doesn't look like the original, take a look:

I contacted them about making a replacement tank that looked like the OM tank and here's what they said:

Thanks for writing! The tank we have for your bike now, the MTT43, will probably be the only aftermarket tank available for the early Monsters for under $1000.

If you get 60 to 100 money in hand for deposit people, I can make a copy of the stock tank that won't change shape and would be emissions legal. Ducati owners haven't cared that much about new tanks since the HM69 project, where 60 people stepped up and made that tank happen. A mold is ~$100k and without at least $100k of tanks sold up front, it is fiscally stupid for anyone to mass produce them...

So...it looks like we need 60-100 guys with "Cash-in-Hand" and that's just for the S2R tanks....but the solution would be permanent!  What do you guys think? 
Wedge
Wedge

« Reply #2704 on: June 10, 2013, 10:07:15 AM »

OK...I'm an idiot!  just figured out who Chris is and how involved he is in all this... is there a crowd-funding project for the S2R???
krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #2705 on: June 10, 2013, 10:24:33 AM »

OK...I'm an idiot!  just figured out who Chris is and how involved he is in all this... is there a crowd-funding project for the S2R???

No, we've got one for the MTS tanks, so I wouldn't pick this up until that tank's mold was being made (which actually will be "soon").

If some graphics designers guys want to start working on a Kickstarter page, that'd be cool. They rejected my inquiry for the HM45 mid-size tank project but I think it's because I didn't put enough production into making a slick project page.  Undecided Roll Eyes We're using invested.in for the MTS tank, but I think the exposure would be better on kickstarter.

Thanks,
Chris

Krista Kelley ... autist formerly known as chris
official nerd for ca-cycleworks.com
SpikeC

Spike in PDX

« Reply #2706 on: June 10, 2013, 01:34:28 PM »

Here is an annoying question- how much work would it take ( if at all possible) to put a s*R tank onto a M1100?  Anything is possible with enough determination I would think.....

Spike Cornelius
  PDX
   2009 M1100S Assorted blingy odds and ends(now gone)
2008 Bimota DB5R  woo-Hoo!
   1965 T100SC
The Bearded Duc
a.k.a. duc750

« Reply #2707 on: June 10, 2013, 02:50:01 PM »

Here is an annoying question- how much work would it take ( if at all possible) to put a s*R tank onto a M1100?  Anything is possible with enough determination I would think.....

Without knowing all of the technical specifics, I would say a lot of work. The "new" monsters have a bladder style tank that partially rides under the seat correct? And I would imagine all of the hook-ups are completely different.

Also, why would you want to do that? With the new monster skins you're covering up any possible bloating blemishes.

I don't have a new monster, so I really don't know why I chimed in. I'm gonna go sit in a corner.

2001 M750 - Sold
krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #2708 on: June 10, 2013, 03:49:01 PM »

@bearded: CannedIce here has a 696 and your thoughts are pretty correct.

The EFI stuff is mostly the same, but the locations of everything else is different. Like the airbox, seat, etc etc.

SpikeC

Spike in PDX

« Reply #2709 on: June 10, 2013, 04:10:58 PM »

Why I would want to do that is because I love the tank that those guys are making! To me it looks like a tank should look, as well as having a bit more capacity.
 Tha air box could be deep sixed for pods, wires can be moved around, as well as hoses, and the seat interface can be delt with in various was.

Spike Cornelius
  PDX
   2009 M1100S Assorted blingy odds and ends(now gone)
2008 Bimota DB5R  woo-Hoo!
   1965 T100SC
The Bearded Duc
a.k.a. duc750

« Reply #2710 on: June 10, 2013, 10:03:31 PM »

Why I would want to do that is because I love the tank that those guys are making! To me it looks like a tank should look, as well as having a bit more capacity.
 Tha air box could be deep sixed for pods, wires can be moved around, as well as hoses, and the seat interface can be delt with in various was.

If by "those guys" you mean CA-Cycleworks and Chris Kelly then that's my misunderstanding. He's a great guy and he's working miracles for the tank expansion issues and his tanks really are beautiful but the tanks they are making are not just for the S*R series bikes, so when you asked about an S*R tank I automatically assumed a stock tank from an S*R series bike.

Now I know that isn't what you meant so, again, I'm gonna go sit in a corner. bang head

2001 M750 - Sold
krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #2711 on: June 11, 2013, 09:07:34 AM »

If by "those guys" you mean CA-Cycleworks and Chris Kelly then that's my misunderstanding. He's a great guy and he's working miracles for the tank expansion issues and his tanks really are beautiful but the tanks they are making are not just for the S*R series bikes, so when you asked about an S*R tank I automatically assumed a stock tank from an S*R series bike.

Actually, the MTT43 tank is a direct, bolt on replacement for S2R Monsters. I've had them on my 2005 S2R800 for years.

Happy times, the MTS tank project got funded, so we're going to work with new technology and plastic for that tank. It will be a blow molded tank and the plastic is designed specifically to work with the latest fuels and pass the most stringent of vapor emissions laws. Once we get through the Multi tank design, we can come back and revisit the thought of making a roundy blobular tank for legacy Monsters.

Smiley Chris

Desert Dust
Ten Most Popular Uses for a

"There's no glamour in Nirvana, no glamour at all"

« Reply #2712 on: June 25, 2013, 11:39:55 PM »

I'm getting ready to coat a brand new tank with Caswells, and I have read a great deal of helpful "how to" info here, but I was wondering, what keeps the Caswells from clogging the vent tube inside the gas tank?

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2713 on: June 26, 2013, 01:29:31 AM »

I'm getting ready to coat a brand new tank with Caswells, and I have read a great deal of helpful "how to" info here, but I was wondering, what keeps the Caswells from clogging the vent tube inside the gas tank?
The tubes are closed in the tank.

They run from the cap area to the tank bottom.

There's no way the sealer can clog them.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Desert Dust
Ten Most Popular Uses for a

"There's no glamour in Nirvana, no glamour at all"

« Reply #2714 on: June 26, 2013, 07:05:37 AM »

Makes sense. Thanks.

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: