Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 18, 2024, 07:59:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 664748 times)
red baron

« Reply #2790 on: December 06, 2013, 06:57:13 AM »

Nakid, we do live very close to CA Cycleworks. Wink

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
NAKID

« Reply #2791 on: December 06, 2013, 09:14:30 AM »

Nakid, we do live very close to CA Cycleworks. Wink

Are you refering to their larger tank option? As far as I know it's still not paintable...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
SpikeC

Spike in PDX

« Reply #2792 on: December 06, 2013, 09:49:31 AM »

You could always cover one with that thin carbon fiber pattern film.......

Spike Cornelius
  PDX
   2009 M1100S Assorted blingy odds and ends(now gone)
2008 Bimota DB5R  woo-Hoo!
   1965 T100SC
NAKID

« Reply #2793 on: December 06, 2013, 09:57:40 AM »

You could always cover one with that thin carbon fiber pattern film.......

Yeah, uh, no. I don't like fake CF. I like the look of my stock color (silver/black). I like the styling of the CCW tank, and of course the capacity, but I'd like to be able to paint it...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
twolanefun

« Reply #2794 on: December 06, 2013, 12:08:36 PM »

One thing to think about. There is push back on ethanol fuel at National Level, several bills in both House and Senate to repeal the mandate. Now I don't know what chance it has, especially with so many states having some form of ethanol production. But I do think there is an opportunity to get the Premium blend set aside as an ethanol free blend, there are some states that have done this already. So I encourage you all to start pushing in your states for this to happen. I'm trying to work it in Virginia, have made contact with several legislators and may actually get some traction since they see the increase in corn prices, thus feed prices, as a threat to hog/chicken farming. - Gene

"I know a few roads"
92' PASO 907ie
02' M900 54K+ Miles
04' ST3 58k+miles - Sold
01' Victory Sportcruiser 30K miles, 04' Victory Kingpin - 111K+ miles
09' XR1200 - 15K+ miles
13' Diavel - 13K+ Miles Pay attention and things will be okay
EX-MSF Instructor, EX-President MAD
AMA Charter Life Member, Patriot Guard Rider
Victory Motorcycle Club, Charter Member
Patriot Guard Rider
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2795 on: December 06, 2013, 03:36:58 PM »

Let's try not to get into the politics of ethanol...

OK? I'd hate to have to lock this.

Doesn't matter anyway. PA-6 will absorb water whether ethanol is present or not.

Water will always be present in fuel and containers that carry fuel.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

twolanefun

« Reply #2796 on: December 06, 2013, 05:34:24 PM »

187 pages of problems and discussion of coating the tanks and one post suggesting the pursuit of an alternative, alebit long shot, and that is a problem? Really? There is nothing political about my post in fact I'm trying to stay in the middle of the debate, I don't care about those on either side, setting aside premium is in the middle and one that might get some traction if a few of us pursure it. geez. - Gene

"I know a few roads"
92' PASO 907ie
02' M900 54K+ Miles
04' ST3 58k+miles - Sold
09' XR1200 - 15K+ miles
Patriot Guard Rider
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #2797 on: December 06, 2013, 06:14:50 PM »

187 pages of problems and discussion of coating the tanks and one post suggesting the pursuit of an alternative, alebit long shot, and that is a problem? Really? There is nothing political about my post in fact I'm trying to stay in the middle of the debate, I don't care about those on either side, setting aside premium is in the middle and one that might get some traction if a few of us pursure it. geez. - Gene

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=VA

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #2798 on: December 06, 2013, 06:22:49 PM »

Water will always be present in fuel and containers that carry fuel.

Yes, however ethanol absorbs ambient moisture at a rate about 20x that of pure gasoline.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
red baron

« Reply #2799 on: December 06, 2013, 07:27:24 PM »

Are you refering to their larger tank option? As far as I know it's still not paintable...

Would coating it not solve the issue?

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #2800 on: December 06, 2013, 07:43:27 PM »

Would coating it not solve the issue?

The outside of the tank is not paintable.

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
Desert Dust
Ten Most Popular Uses for a

"There's no glamour in Nirvana, no glamour at all"

« Reply #2801 on: December 06, 2013, 09:58:05 PM »

Great source of information. I had to laugh when I clicked on California: 8 ethanol free stations in the entire dam state. Guess I had to coat my tank.   

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2802 on: December 07, 2013, 05:42:11 AM »

When you start discussing  the House, Senate, and legislation, it automatically become politics Gene.

Politics gets threads locked here.

Just sayin'

Yes, however ethanol absorbs ambient moisture at a rate about 20x that of pure gasoline.
True, but ambient moisture will condense inside a tank that isn't full whether there is ethanol present or not, and there is water in every fuel storage tank in the world. I agree that the ethanol exacerbates the problem, but the real issue is the nylon.

I just think that people should know that ethanol free fuel is not a guarantee their tank won't expand.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

twolanefun

« Reply #2803 on: December 07, 2013, 06:06:43 AM »

I just think that people should know that ethanol free fuel is not a guarantee their tank won't expand.

That is probably right but empirical evidence from those who have never used fuel with ethanol content is that their tanks are fine, same is true with the XR1200 BTW. - Gene

"I know a few roads"
92' PASO 907ie
02' M900 54K+ Miles
04' ST3 58k+miles - Sold
09' XR1200 - 15K+ miles
Patriot Guard Rider
Curmudgeon

« Reply #2804 on: December 07, 2013, 08:20:52 AM »

That is probably right but empirical evidence from those who have never used fuel with ethanol content is that their tanks are fine, same is true with the XR1200 BTW. - Gene
waytogo

BTW, if you put your thoughts together on the EPA E-15 hearing the AMA asked us to attend in Arlington and post those on another forum, please leave a link on this thread.

P.P.S. Strikes me as highly political to disallow the discussion of the evils of ethanol. Never realized the AMA was a partisan organization..., and I've been a member since Malcolm Forbes got the Garden State Parkway opened to motorcycles in 1974!  Cool

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: