Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 01, 2024, 03:25:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 699830 times)
thought
Everyone needs a

« Reply #1965 on: November 23, 2011, 08:09:12 AM »

Any reports about Monster 1100 EVO tank issues?
Is this BS?

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2011/04/17-high-res-photos-of-the-ducati-monster-1100-evo/#more-16437

"Update: Ducati tell us the plastic fuel tanks on this new generation
Monster and the Diavel are now impervious to the deformation caused by
US fuel’s ethanol content which affected older models."

there have been reports of the new monster's expanding as it's the same material as before.  the big diff is that it's just not as noticeable due to the tank skins.

'10 SFS 1098
'11 M796 ABS - Sold
'05 SV650N - Sold
hillbillypolack

« Reply #1966 on: November 23, 2011, 09:12:40 AM »

P.S.  Is anyone formally protesting the settlement to the court?

Yes, I will be protesting and writing a lengthy letter to the address provided on the settlement.

Part of the letter will be documenting the history of etanol in NA gasoline mixtures.  This should have been considered when Ducati (or its suppliers) formulated the tanks:

From the EIA:

1975: The United States begins to phase out lead in gasoline. Ethanol becomes more attractive as a possible octane booster for gasoline. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) issued the initial regulations, requiring reduced levels of lead in gasoline in early 1973. By 1986 no lead was allowed in motor gasoline.

1978: The term gasohol was defined, for the first time, in the Energy Tax Act of 1978. Gasohol was defined as a blend of gasoline with at least 10 percent alcohol by volume, excluding alcohol made from petroleum, natural gas, or coal. For this reason, all ethanol to be blended into gasoline is produced from renewable biomass feedstocks. The Federal excise tax on gasoline at the time was 4 cents per gallon. This law amounted to a 40-cents-per-gallon subsidy for every gallon of ethanol blended into gasoline.

1979: The marketing of commercial alcohol-blended fuels began by the Amoco Oil Company, followed by Ashland, Chevron, Beacon, and Texaco. About $1 billion eventually went to biomass-related projects from the Department of the Interior and Related Agencies Appropriation Act.

Of course this has been discussed several times.

Part 2 of the letter is to have some consideration of owners covering some part of the expense of a new, permanent fix for the tanks.  Meaning that if you were offered a non-expanding tank, or a metal tank at a nominal cost, the owner would (could) be willing to pay for it.  It could be a DP item, but at the very least it gets The Company thinking about lessening the impact of full-blown tooling and evaluation of said tank.

hillbillypolack

« Reply #1967 on: November 23, 2011, 09:15:57 AM »

there have been reports of the new monster's expanding as it's the same material as before.  the big diff is that it's just not as noticeable due to the tank skins.

1200 Multis have been going badly though.  Here's a quote from a Multi 1200 owner (Ducati enthusiast) on ADVrider's forums:

The settlement leaves a lot to be desired. The coverage for my Multistrada 1200 is limited to issues with clearance and the tank fitting in the frame, and does nothing to address the swelling of the tank and the effect it has on the painted bodypanel fit, which is literally bursting at the seams.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17366301&postcount=26

« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 10:21:32 AM by hillbillypolack » Logged
muskrat

« Reply #1968 on: November 23, 2011, 07:46:17 PM »

I was told today that labor is no longer part of the tank replacement by someone who went to a shop.  Maybe some people are jumping ahead of the lawsuit settlement? 

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
Frisco

« Reply #1969 on: November 23, 2011, 09:04:14 PM »

no one has reported that to me

I'm the guy who just bought a gorgeous 2007 (less than 6 years) S4RS two weeks ago - I noticed some ripples in the side an thought oh well but then when the latch wouldn't open and the dealer (AMS in Dallas) looked at it and said yes it needs a new tank I thouhgt thats great - I hadn't heard about the problem before I bought the bike - certainly would have made me think twice. Anyhow they told me today I'm responsible for the labor because Ducati is doing the tank replacement out of good will - I asked if I could do it myself and they said no that wasn't allowed because it was a warranty issue - they want $150 to replace the tank - it's the second time a tank has been replaced on that bike - first one (in 2009 out of original warranty I beleive) was done at no cost to the owner. I think I will be calling Ducati North America Monday.
Anyone interested in a great 2007 S4RS, full Termis, ECU, shorty levers, open clutch, 1K miles on the tires, never been down (I know the 3 previous owners), Rizoma resovoirs and brackets - make me an offer.

I need to know soon about the labor because it's scheduled to go down 12/3 for the new tank - can I go to another dealer if they won't charge the labor since AMS already got the replacement tank?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 09:12:40 PM by Frisco » Logged

2007 S4RS
muskrat

« Reply #1970 on: November 23, 2011, 09:21:57 PM »

correction.......you were told, by ME.  Shocked

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
thought
Everyone needs a

« Reply #1971 on: November 23, 2011, 10:48:25 PM »

i'd contact dna and talk to them... with so many cases of tanks being replaced gratis there is no reason at all anyone should have to pay for it.

'10 SFS 1098
'11 M796 ABS - Sold
'05 SV650N - Sold
HotIce

« Reply #1972 on: November 24, 2011, 07:09:11 AM »

there have been reports of the new monster's expanding as it's the same material as before.  the big diff is that it's just not as noticeable due to the tank skins.
I'd be fine if the tank expands (a little), and long as the fit within the bike allows it, from a safety, cosmetic and overall mechanical structure POV.
thought
Everyone needs a

« Reply #1973 on: November 24, 2011, 07:54:30 AM »

I'd be fine if the tank expands (a little), and long as the fit within the bike allows it, from a safety, cosmetic and overall mechanical structure POV.

i wouldnt even accept that as expansion doesnt really stop.  i'd get it replaced and coated just so you know it wont expand at all in the future.

'10 SFS 1098
'11 M796 ABS - Sold
'05 SV650N - Sold
jgrm1

« Reply #1974 on: November 24, 2011, 02:58:44 PM »

the dealer (AMS in Dallas)...they want $150 to replace the tank - it's the second time a tank has been replaced on that bike - first one (in 2009 out of original warranty I beleive) was done at no cost to the owner.

It was AMS I visited on Tuesday.  They replaced my original tank for free under warranty.  I was told Tuesday the $150-200 was for labor to coat the tank with Caswell.  For information, I visited Big D before going to AMS and learned AMS is contracting the tank lining to Big D.

-Jeff

BMW:  2016 R1200RS, 2000 R1100S, 1975 R90S
Ducati:  2008 S2R1000, 1998 900 Supersport Final Edition
Norton:  1974 Commando 850
Triumph:  2016 Thruxton R, 1971 T120R
Frisco

« Reply #1975 on: November 24, 2011, 04:59:08 PM »

It was AMS I visited on Tuesday.  They replaced my original tank for free under warranty.  I was told Tuesday the $150-200 was for labor to coat the tank with Caswell.  For information, I visited Big D before going to AMS and learned AMS is contracting the tank lining to Big D.

-Jeff

Funny but thats a completely different story than what they told me Wed - nothing was mentioned about coating the tank - they are recomending using K100 which they are going to start carrying - not sure if your bike is out of original warranty or not - that might have something to do with it.

2007 S4RS
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #1976 on: November 25, 2011, 09:12:23 AM »

Lawyer here.

No small claims court I know of would allow that kind of suit.  Small claims is for return of property or contract breach (i.e. party D owes party P money).  There are a few other types of claims, but defective product and/or failure to honor warranty aren't one of them.

You might do better with a Lemon Law claim, but generally the remedy for a Lemon Law claim is the manufacturer has to buy your vehicle for estimated market price.

Also lawyer (multi generational family of lawyers at thanksgiving to boot) - had discussion over t-giving dinner and all agreed you ought to (a) coat tank, (b) protest settlement in writing if you don't like it - many should pay someone who can write well to do it for you, (c) save pennies for carbon/kevlar (eti) or aluminum tank if you like everything about your bike except for ethanol-fuel expansion possibility.

this was a "what would i do if it was my bike" hypothetical posed to those in the family that rode.   My ol' man, who is a harley & ducati rider, didn't believe something "as trivial" as having to coat a tank to prevent expansion is a big deal if you like the bike in all other aspects.

my personal thoughts re: settlement is that Ducati isn't out all that much in the end - they are extending their promise/warranty on replacing tanks for a set period of time which I think is very nice, but ought to contract with a domestic company who offers a coating service (or recommend dealerships to do this individually) to offer to replacement-tank owners at a discount (contracted lower labor rate for essentially a "needs-based" contract).

My three part related opinion on the matter:
- i would coat the damn tank and go back to my normal life of tinkering with other stuff and riding
- at least ducati isn't giving owners the middle finger denying all warranty claims for using ethanol-blend gasoline (the owners manuals, iirc, do indicate 'gasoline' of a certain octane and make no mention of using a blended fuel as acceptable)
- not good for brand image, but to the non-duc owners in my fam, they didn't seem to care - relegating the fuel system's tank to being only 1 component among thousands, and an easy solution is available
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 09:16:15 AM by j v » Logged

thought
Everyone needs a

« Reply #1977 on: November 25, 2011, 03:24:19 PM »

just had the new tank put in on the sfs, but one issue that came up after we got the old tank off is that plastic side panels have now warped due to how badly swelled the previous tank was.  they no longer sit flush with the tank and now bow out with maybe a quarter inch of space between the panels and the new tank.

does ducati cover this under their warranty too?  for parts damaged due to the tank expansion?  the dealer said it was pretty iffy on whether or not they would cover it and said they would most likely not cover it.

anyone else have something like this happen to them?

'10 SFS 1098
'11 M796 ABS - Sold
'05 SV650N - Sold
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1978 on: November 25, 2011, 03:54:36 PM »

the settlement covers damaged Ducati branded parts

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Desert Dust
Ten Most Popular Uses for a

"There's no glamour in Nirvana, no glamour at all"

« Reply #1979 on: November 25, 2011, 04:08:59 PM »

My dealer said that Ducati would not replace a swollen tank if it had been coated. True?

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: