Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 12, 2024, 06:27:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 72   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You're too stupid to... own a diesel small truck  (Read 249998 times)
zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #420 on: July 26, 2013, 10:55:43 AM »

<jack> Details on the MkII?</jack>

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=52019.msg1186901#msg1186901

I don't recall all the details Dan told me about the MK ii back when he 1st joined the Cagiva Gran Canyon list and I put 2 & 2 together as to whom he was and we chatted about the car back then IIRC...I'll have to go dig back in my Emails.

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #421 on: July 26, 2013, 04:32:01 PM »

That's just a picture!   cheeky

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #422 on: July 26, 2013, 07:38:58 PM »

Pd engines are finicky with oil and some have cam lobe issues.  Other than that they get the best overall mileage, have the highest hp, and are highly tuneable.  The hybrid injectors are the key.  They are cam activated but electronic controlled.  So you can put an aftermarket control that increases or decreases pulse interval of the injectors.  The body is the same as all other mkiv models. 

I've heard mixed reviews on the Pumpe-Düse engines.  You like yours?  Particular reasons?  It was introduced in 2004, correct?  Every now and again I go shopping for a used Mk4 Golf TDI to turn into a high-efficiency GTI knockoff (GTD or GTDI).  When your commute is 33 miles each way, highway fuel economy becomes a greater priority.  I just haven't been able to justify the 10-15k it would cost to get into one.  Would take around just under 10 years for it to pay for itself (at current prices locally).  If I could get a decent amount out of my existing (Mk2) GTI and trackbike, I could reduce the payoff period a bit.  Ultimately, we just don't have the cash right this second, and taking out a loan for something with a ten-year payoff period does not make economic sense.  I'd be better off investing in a homebrew biodiesel setup and commuting in the Silverado... yeah, it'd be air hauling, but it'd be CHEAP air hauling.  Wink  If I had my production cost down to $1.50 a gallon, driving the truck would be cheaper than riding the Cagiva.  That doesn't include lower maintenance costs... longer oil change intervals (at about the same price per oil change), less spent on tires, no chain, cost of replacement gear, etc.  I just realised that I dropped $600 on a helmet... that needs replaced every 5 years.  That's $120/year for helmet use.  This stuff adds up quick!

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
cokey
hey take a look @ my

« Reply #423 on: July 27, 2013, 01:27:03 PM »

you guys can have the acreage.

I'd gladly take the 2400 sqft garage with an attached house.

laughingdp

My garage would be under the house...Batman style...

I WIN
Quote from: my wife
Ok babe I surrender to u.  U may work me out till I drop

About the goat...
 His name was Bob, but the family called him BeelzeBob. 
make the beast with two backs goats.
the_Journeyman

Molly & Syreena, the Italian mistresses

« Reply #424 on: July 28, 2013, 10:19:41 AM »

Not a truck, but I did happen across a Jeep Liberty diesel at a local consignment lot.  Thoughts on these?

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

10. Bad decisions make good stories.
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #425 on: July 28, 2013, 11:15:44 AM »

Not a truck, but I did happen across a Jeep Liberty diesel at a local consignment lot.  Thoughts on these?

JM

Piece of shit.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
the_Journeyman

Molly & Syreena, the Italian mistresses

« Reply #426 on: July 28, 2013, 08:24:02 PM »

Care to elaborate?

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

10. Bad decisions make good stories.
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #427 on: July 28, 2013, 09:49:05 PM »

Care to elaborate?

JM

Epic piece of shit you shouldn't buy.

Lot of EGR problems.
So many power window failures you'd think you were in a VW.
For those of you who are VW fans, there's something wrong with you.
Lot of torque converter issues-this may have turned into a warranty item.
Weak suspension with shitty ground clearance.
Tiny amount of interior space.
They required a very specific synthetic oil that if not used will shorten the engine life considerably (good luck verifying what someone put in it).

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
JohnEE
Why not

« Reply #428 on: July 29, 2013, 03:49:57 AM »

Saw a Double Cab Taco with a cummings turbo diesel pass me on I495 today....do want.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #429 on: July 29, 2013, 04:36:00 AM »

Lot of EGR problems.
They required a very specific synthetic oil that if not used will shorten the engine life considerably (good luck verifying what someone put in it).

Really?  Out of our 6 VWs, 0 power window failures.
lethe
Post Whore

« Reply #430 on: July 29, 2013, 06:59:57 AM »

Really?  Out of our 6 VWs, 0 power window failures.
he's a rocket scientist, they're not too bright

no issues here either  waytogo

'05 Monster 620
'86 FZ600
'05 KTM SMC 625
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #431 on: July 29, 2013, 08:35:26 AM »

Lot of EGR problems.

Plenty of VW experience here and haven't had any power window failures.  Had one failure on my Volvo and one on my Ford truck though...

The torque converter was subject to a recall and fixed.  It wasn't that much of a big deal really.  It did trash some transmissions, but those were replaced too.

Big people always complain about the interior space in cars.

All modern diesels require spec oil.  VWs, MB, Audi, BMW...

not really a laundry list to make it a "piece of shit" now is it?

:-)

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #432 on: July 29, 2013, 11:04:13 AM »

Plenty of VW experience here and haven't had any power window failures.  Had one failure on my Volvo and one on my Ford truck though...

The torque converter was subject to a recall and fixed.  It wasn't that much of a big deal really.  It did trash some transmissions, but those were replaced too.

Big people always complain about the interior space in cars.

All modern diesels require spec oil.  VWs, MB, Audi, BMW...

not really a laundry list to make it a "piece of shit" now is it?

:-)

Sorry you're a runt. Please to explain the egr issues while you're counterpointing.

You had a small diesel truck and sold it. Why do you want another?

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #433 on: July 29, 2013, 11:49:52 AM »

Sorry you're a runt. Please to explain the egr issues while you're counterpointing.

You had a small diesel truck and sold it. Why do you want another?

I'm 6'1"

The EGR issue?  It's the same issue with all vehicles and some deal with it better than others.  The correct solution is to remove it. 

it's a bs way to reduce NOx.  diesels have a high NOx output and they used a gas engine EGR design.

I sold it because a tree fell on it and it was 30+ years old.  I want another because I like diesels.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 11:53:28 AM by ducatiz » Logged

duc_fan

Designated right-wing religious kook.

« Reply #434 on: July 29, 2013, 03:58:27 PM »

LOL... lots still going on in here!

I've had two VWs... one with power windows ('98 GTI VR6), and one without (the MkII).  I'll let you guess which one DIDN'T have a power window failure.  Wink  Yes, I still love VWs.  Note I have never claimed there isn't something wrong with me.

To be fair to the VeeDubs, my parents have two MkVs (2010) and a 1995 Audi.  One of my brothers has a 2008 or 2009 Audi A4.  None of them have had power window problems.

My personal opinion?  It's the VWs that live outside.  At least that's been my experience.  They like coming home to a garage.  My '98 gave me no problems as long as it came home to a garage.  The 6 months it lived outside?  It let me know it wasn't feeling appreciated.  YMMV.

For more on the MkII: It's a 1986 GTI 1.8 8v.  5-speed, manual windows, manual sunroof, manual steering, manual seats... the only "power" item on the car is the vacuum-assist brakes.  The electrical system runs the starter, the lights, the ignition system, and the radio.  Pretty soon it won't even have the radio. Evil  It's in the middle of a major overhaul.  I am removing (but keeping & storing) the Bosch CIS-E fueling system.  I am installing a set of Weber 40DCOEs (sidedrafts).  It is getting a transmission rebuild, a light flywheel, 16v clutch pressure plate, Peloquin diff, and new axles.  Shift linkage is being upgraded with USRT spherical-bearing kit.  Rear axle is getting new bushes and a Black Forest "Corse" rear anti-roll bar (the one that goes inside the torsion beam).  Suspension is being upgraded from Neuspeed springs over Tokico shocks to Koni coilovers (that I robbed off the '98 GTI before I sold it).  Will also install the Autotech upper strut-tower brace I bought on closeout years ago.  Planning to remove the rear seat (again, will be kept and stored), install rear cage with harness belt anchors.  Battery relo to middle of car (former rear seat pan).  It already has factory Recaro front seats, a MkIII GTI "Driver Edition" golf ball gear knob (also stolen from the GTI VR6), short shift kit, Autotech front anti-roll bar, and poly bushings.  Brakes were completely gone through a few years ago (with drilled rotors, stainless lines, new calipers), with exception of master cylinder and vacuum booster... those are on the list.  Has a complete custom exhaust: late MkII dual-outlet manifold and downpipe, cat test pipe, custom center resonator, Techtonics crossover/axle pipe, and Magnaflow muffler.  There's more, but I've had it for 14 years or more... can't remember everything that's been done to it.  I do already have most of the parts for the upcoming work.  Webers, shift linkage, bushings, anti-roll bar, strut brace, Konis... still need to purchase transmission parts and rear cage.

It doesn't look like much now.  See the pic earlier in this thread... that's it sitting on the trailer behind the Silverado.  Cosmetics have yet to be tackled.  I've just fixed/sealed some of the little rust areas, and tore off the peeling clearcoat on the roof.  Right now, cosmetically, it's more of a "preservation" project than a restoration project.  Not sure what direction I'll go... clean and shiny fresh Tornado Red paint... or turn it into a grey-primer rally car.

Sorry for the threadjack.  It's easy to get distracted and start talkin' VeeDubs...  Grin
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 04:01:40 PM by duc_fan » Logged

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

"I want a peaceful soul. I need a bigger gun." -- Charlie Crews on Life

Street: 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Track: 2005 Honda CBR 600RR - Salvage project
Sold: 2001 Ducati SS900ie - Gone, but not forgotten...
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 72   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: